Thursday, May 31, 2007

Unchained

Today marks Jamie’s first full week here at UWMC as well as her release from the bonds of the IV pump. After breakfast this morning she took her first regiment of oral pain medication and within an hour they were disconnecting the IV pump and taking away her PCA button.

The detachment of the IV also made her first shower of the week possible, not only cleansing her body but also visibly refreshing her spirit. Showering was done with the assistance of Nurse May, who always knows just what to do to make her feel her best. I am now constantly living in her shadow, receiving comments such as “That isn’t how May does it…” as I fumble with her gown or the bed controls.

With discharge in sight, I took one last shower at the Silver Cloud before packing up and relinquishing my room, planning to stick it out with Jamie for the last few days. Don’t worry, there is a shower in the guest lounge on the 8th floor, so I promise not to let my hygiene slip.

Buzz and Nona Reynolds came this afternoon to bring Jamie some excellent lounge wear and a few childhood photos of the Reynolds / McLaughlin gang. I always enjoy their company and was particularly touched by Buzz’s empathy for me regards my recent change in hair cut professionals. I also found out that Nona has been purposely keeping Buzz from using the internet so as to prevent him from viewing Craigslist. Buzz, come on buy next week and I will give you some personal instruction. As Ken Sr. will tell you, once you discover Craiglist, you will no longer feel the need to sleep. And don’t the women worry about us spending too much $$, there is plenty of good stuff for free on there.

Sounds like the Reynolds clan need their own blog site just to publish all the news from their side of 302; congratulations Jeff on your engagement.

The transition from the IV was a success and Jamie spent most of midday day circling the halls of our wing beaming like a kid on a new bike, dazzling doctors, nurses, patients and guests alike with her ever increasing lap times. I love to see her smile.

With increased activity comes a better appetite and I can no longer rely on Jamie’s leftovers for nourishment. I did however have enough foresight to get her to mark the PB cookie and some milk at lunchtime for I knew she would readily give it up. Yes, this is a hint as to my current cookie status; I have resorted to eating commercially made cookies.

Tonight Jamie’s dinner came, which included everything but macaroni and cheese. So I trotted down to the cafeteria to procure some and to my disappointment they appeared to be out. Eager to please, I decided to ask. The woman behind the counter began to explain that they sold out when she was interrupted by a heavily accented man, who asked “is this for a patient?”. I said yes, for my wife and he said “why doesn’t she just ask for it to be served to her?”. I attempted to explain to him that she had filled out the menu herself the prior eve and that she had ordered macaroni for lunch and now desired it again. He seemed perplexed and pointed to a container on the counter, indicating that the woman should give it to me. She hesitated, but he nodded and I gleefully put it on my tray. I thanked him and before I turned he continued to elaborate on how each floor of the hospital has a “nourishment” room which contains an array of foods such as cheese & crackers, ice cream, cereal and even microwavable macaroni.

I had heard of this mysterious nourishment room, but was sternly warned by the nursing staff to stay out, with the explanation that some quarantined patients had entered the room thereby compromising others’ health, forcing them to close it to non staff members. I explained this to the man in the cafeteria and he rebuffed this idea and said that this area should be accessible to all and that the food was for the patients.

Have I stumbled across some great conspiracy on 7 SE, where the nurses are keeping some plethora of tasty snack hidden from me? Has my reputation as a perpetual snacker scared them? Or maybe it was my vomiting that has kept them quite, based on a fear that I might gorge myself and then just puke it up in the hall.?

I promptly returned to our room to find the evening nurse medicating Jamie. I immediately started interrogating her, “why have you been keeping this information from us?”, “where do you keep the ice cream and macaroni?”. She was skillfully evasive and indirect, solid as a rock, unbreakable. She responded in a polite nurse tone with “all you have to do is ask, I would be happy to get something for you” and “we might have some frozen Lean Cuisine, but it is not as good as the cafeteria”. Tomorrow I will try a different approach using Jamie as my ally……

Jess and Shane came tonight for a long visit, and I watched Shane squirm as Jamie recounted the prior month’s events in vivid detail. This of course reminded me of myself not to long ago when watching a blood draw or an IV being installed would be more than I could handle, forcing me to sit down and focus if I was to remain lucid. Funny how circumstances quickly harden you and we rise to the occasion, especially for the ones we love. I thought I would have difficulty looking at Jamie’s incisions or watching the nurses work. But both necessity and the hope for a positive outcome have re shaped my view, and I find the uncompromising strength to be by her side to comfort her through these challenges.

Jess and Shane brought a nice bundle of magazines (which tastefully did not include Oprah) as well as a huge bag of Tootsie rolls, a sort of methadone to get me through these cookieless nights. Thanks for the mags, they do a great job of filling the expanse of time that comes with the healing process, and are an excellent sleep aid when you are hyped up. Good luck on day 3 Shane.

11 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, those mysterious Nourishment Rooms. When Ben was in the NICU (N for Neonatal, neonatal patients being, hmmmm....premature babies...) they told us that the Nourishment Rooms were for the patients not the parents. OK, so, the babies need the crackers? Whatever! And I did see plenty of nurses nourishing themselves there!

I have plently of homemade cookies in the freezer that I was reserving for you two when you get home. It sounded like you had them coming out your ears! If I make it over there before Jamie is discharged I will bring them.

Anonymous said...

John and Jamie--

Have you noticed that Jamie's name is coming second to yours John. It is not because you are superior to Jamie at all, but because I feel like I have to address your "interesting" commentary. I wish I was there to see you whine about the mac and cheese, or should I say smuggle the last bite of macaroni out of the cafeteria. It sounds as if it was the dinner of the worker behind the counter. She probably worked all day knowing that for dinner she would be taking home some Mac and Cheese from the dining hall. You should feel a little bad:) I'm shocked, but then again I am not.LOL As for May....She really is the best! Have you come up with a way to thank her for such wonderful care and attention. I've been thinking, but nothing terrific enough comes to mind. I know... maybe Jamie should write in to Oprah (ya know Jamies favorite mag) letting her know that Nurse May goes above and beyond her call of duty.
Jamie--I can only imagine how you must be needing some space, is that why you send John on these missions for food?? I am counting down the days for when you are coming home. Is it two or 1 1/2?? I can't wait! I love you and keep smiling.

Jennifer
P.S. I sent another draft of my thesis to my advisor...I still have a ways to go and only 14 days, but I think it may be possible. Time will tell.

Katrina W. said...

I've got pulla (from my mom), Apple Bread and chocolate chip cookies for you guys John (share the breads with Jamie at least), so we need to coordinate an exchangefor sometime on Friday. Call or email.

It was too late to stop by the hospital on the way home from visiting dad tonight, and leaving such homebaked goodness at the desk seemed like a questionable idea...

-Katrina

Anonymous said...

Dear Jamie & John,

If we are still standing upright sometime on Sunday, I will cook up some great cookies for you both. I will have David get them to Ken to deliver to you and I will seal the box with duct tape to prevent fingers from prying up the lid!

We are spending the next 24 hours at Relay for Life in Tacoma. We are walking 4 hours from 11p-3a carrying a baton of filled with names of people we care about who have survived, are battling and those we have lost.

Your blog sight is great and has been an inspiration to a dear friend of mine who is just starting her battle to clobber breast cancer. Thank you John & Jamie for being so strong and positive.

David & Barbara Mielke

Shane White said...

Thanks for having us!
I don't remember squirming that much. :\

But then again I don't remember what I had for breakfast.

Glad to see you guys in good spirits and hope the best for you both.

See you again soon.

=shane=

BethMc said...

John I just loved to hear about your wild times at the UWMC. It's just as good as reading most short stories.

Anonymous said...

Good morning! Another beautiful Northwest day and I hope you might get outside for a few minutes. Jamie, you need to get home so John can think about something other than hunting food! LOL I do hope you will be home tomorrow. You can watch Shorty and Will run around your yard. I think confining them in your kennel would be a great idea. They are running me ragged........like having two toddlers. Will has learned to put up his hands to protect himself, as it seems either Stella or Shorty are passing by and planting a "kiss" on him!! Shorty wants whatever toy Will has(See, just like siblings), but Will really doesn't seem to mind. Later I will put water in the new little pool and Shorty and Will can splash to their hearts desire. Glad you are having some company, as I was feeling a little distressed that we are confined and unable to visit. Right now, I am going to take advantage of Will's napping and head for the shower. Have a great day and think of me when you are looking at the mountain :)
Love, Mom C

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys -

Reading the most recent posts has brought a few tears to my eyes... a little embarrassing since I'm using the public computers at the trade show, but so worth it! I'm so happy for you Jamie. Bet you won't forget that first shower for a long time. I don't think the hospital staff will forget about you and John for a very, very long time. Bet you are a total inspiration to them -- it is no wonder you get such great care.

Sounds like you may beat me home (yay for you!) so I will bring cookies and entrees early in the week. Can't wait to see you both. Keep up the great work Jamie - despite John's offense at Oprah I'll bring you some more mags for your rest at home (if you like).

See you both very soon.

Love,
Anne

Anonymous said...

It must be the hunting instinct of man throughout the ages to always be on the hunt for food:) . . . unless you're in a pride of lions -- then the females bring home the kill and the males laze around on their backs waiting to be fed. Ha.
Glad the hunt has occupied you to some extent. Hope to see you and Jamie back home SOON!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Jamie and John,
As a recent UWMC patient, I will share that I was the happy reciepient of some 11:30pm lasagna from the nourishment room last week when I found out that my 2nd surgery would have me on no food or drink after midnight. But that nurse was right. It was a poor, poor approximation of what you can get from the cafeteria. Of course, that was 6SE, so no telling what they might have upstairs... I suppose you are right to be skeptical.

But more to the point, I wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and am glad to have the chance to keep updated with the blog. You're obviously enjoying writing it. Hope to see you in person soon.

Love, Becky

Anonymous said...

Dear Jamie & John

You two are amazing!
I love your blog sight...
I especially love your spirit.
Your in our thoughts and our prayers.
Keep up the good work.

Wendy & John Glennon