Monday, May 21, 2007

Best Possible Care

Today was a great day. I know that must seem strange to read, but my mind is at ease now. I met with Dr. Goff today along with a resident named Olivia. I was poked and prodded, in places I won't mention, but amazingly it was okay. Dr. Goff explained all about the "debulking" procedure. She is in favor of proceeding with standard chemo treatment as well as intraperitoneal treatment (IP) where anti-cancer drugs are placed in my abdomen directly. She will be placing a port in my side just below my rib cage during my surgery on Thursday. She may have to take out a part of my intestine, so I have to go through a "cleansing" on Wednesday...not looking forward to that. I'm told not to leave the house once that starts, so not wanting to get stuck in traffic on I-5, John has booked us a suite in a hotel near the hospital, what a guy!!

I met with Heidi, one of Dr. Goff's nurses at SCCA. She will administer the chemo, once treatment starts. John is impressed with her because she likes to communicate via e-mail. I'm impressed because she was very kind when talking about all my procedures. When I get the IP treatment, I will be admitted to the UW for a day, roughly 36 hrs.

I had my first mammogram today as well. Everything with was A-OK in that area. Dr. Goff just wanted to do one as a precaution. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised that it didn't hurt and wasn't even uncomfortable. The tech was very good and I think they have the newest and best equipment.

I am impressed with all the people I have met at the SCCA and UW. I haven't felt like I was in a big clinic or that I was just a number. Everyone has made me feel like I am important and I feel they are genuinely interested in getting me well.

As soon as I know a time for the surgery I will try to post. I should get a call sometime after 2pm on Wednesday with the exact time.

For the first time in a week, I feel like I can sleep easy. I actually wanted to eat dinner tonight and luckily got to dine with my youngest nephew Wilson and his Mom and Pop, Anne and Dave. We ate at Happy Dragon, which has to have some of the best Chinese food around. Thanks guys for the company and the dinner.

Thanks again for all the comments of love and support. I love reading them and it makes me smile to know I have so many friends pulling for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jamie,
We Love you and we are all pulling for you. Keep your head up and stay strong.
You are taking this battle head on and and you have the right attitude to fight it. Keep it up!
Cookies will be coming your way!
Take care
Love, Mike, Tereasa, Chase & Cameron

Anonymous said...

Jamie,
We Love you and we are all pulling for you. Keep your head up and stay strong.
You are taking this battle head on and and you have the right attitude to fight it. Keep it up!
Cookies will be coming your way!
Take care
Love, Mike, Tereasa, Chase & Cameron

Jen said...

I am so glad to hear that you feel confident about your care and that your mind is at ease. Katrina is right on saying that you are going CLOBBER CANCER!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,

Just wanted you to know that Fred and I think of you often and know you are going to beat this!! You have the right attitude and mind set, and are just plain amazing!! :) Stay strong and keep smiling that beautiful smile! We are here if you and John need ANYTHING from us! Love to you both! Kim

Anonymous said...

Jamie, we're praying for you and for your whole family. My mom and Aunt are praying over every organ in your body . . .the same two women who prayed day and night for George and his miraculous recovery. May God bless you and keep you, may He smile on you and give you peace.

We love you!
Andrea & Brett

Anonymous said...

Jamie
It was a lot of fun tonight: bar-b-q, listening to the kids scream and hollar like happy munchkins, watching you open your "I love you bear" from the kids, and of course squirting whip cream in our mouths. I can go back to when we were little and say, "no fair, Jamie got more whip cream than me!" You look great and you have a strong positive attitude. Way to go, if anyone can CLOBBER cancer, it will be you. Katelyn and I will be thinking of you and praying for you every night. Our plan for you is to mend quickly because we will need you on a golf team, your the one that always wins the big money holes, and of course you have the great putt. BE STRONG and I love you!
Love Jen & Katelyn