Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Tiny Bubbles

Despite Jamie's bout with severe gas pains sometime after 2 AM this morning I actually think that last night had to be one of the more restful I have had in weeks. I think it must be my conscience at ease, knowing that Jamie’s trajectory is now one of healing.

After morning inspection by the residents (I barely bother to sit in bed when they come in anymore), I had another ok cafeteria breakfast of a biscuit sandwich and cinnamon roll. Last week there were fried eggs over easy, but despite promises by the holiday weekend crew they have not re appeared these last two days.

Jamie got a double breakfast order this AM, first the familiar array of “clears”, followed by what is known as the “soft” menu. She again snubbed the peach Jell-O, but poked at the cream of wheat and drank the juice. The “soft” Lunch was only slightly more appetizing, so I augmented it with vegetable broth and cherry Jell-O (ala Sharon of course). Lunch also included a very familiar looking biscuit which I was compelled to steal half of. Jamie has also been receiving a small carton of milk with her meals, which I ferret away in my personal in room cooler. This strange compulsion reminded me of my first grade teacher Mrs. Arnold and her cohort Mrs. Lowery (who was to have me for second grade) , who used to collect un opened milks and half eaten fish which sandwiches for their cats as we turned in our trays at the end of lunch period.
Thankfully I was spared an institutionalized lunch, again due to Sharon’s generosity, and ate a lovely burrito smothered in salsa.

We returned from our first walk of the day to a large parcel on the bed. Inside was a plush replica of Shorty. This was a welcome addition to our room for both of us, as I think the one thing we miss most from home is our comical little companion. My mother arrived later in the day with some photos for the bulletin board as well as some digital video of Shorty fighting the lawn sprinkler. Thanks mom, you read our minds and brightened our day.

This afternoon was well marked by the removal of Jamie’s epidural catheter, thus bringing back “sensation” to her torso and abdomen. They also terminated her continuous dosing of hydromorphone, leaving her to use her PCA augmented by oral Tylenol and an occasional shot of toradol via IV.

For dinner Jamie was served a lovely chicken and pale pea dish with a side of pasta, salty soup and a dry roll (reincarnated biscuit?). Inspired by my parents presence I felt a wave of frivolity come over me and accepted my Dad’s invitation to go to the cafeteria. Like father like son, we lined up at the hamburger grill and both ordered some burgers which actually were quite satisfying. I also picked up some rice and mashed potatoes for Jamie, allowing here to avoid the “soft” entrĂ©e.

Things in our ward seem very quiet tonight, and after getting Jamie settled in for a bit, I snuck out for a brisk walk at dusk. After a loop around the building I was satisfied and returned to find Jamie gabbing to Katrina on the phone. I was happy to see her so well engaged, such distractions can at least briefly remove you from the day’s discomforts.

Tomorrow will mark even more milestones for recovery, but I will leave that for later, lest I run out of things to talk about. Good night.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi J & J,

I'm pleased to be the first responder to your late nite post, John. It's fitting since I'm notorious for having my days and nights mixed up!

Jamie, you're sounding great.....and I know tomorrow will be notable because it includes your first post-op shower. Funny the things we take for granted, isn't it?!!

John, I know who I'm going to request at my side the next time I have to go to Virginia Mason to have a kidney stone blasted......None of my own family believes I need TLC (especially Aaron. Once when I was having stone problems I asked him what he could do to help me and he offered to call 911.) Of course, I shouldn't expect more. He's the one that stood over Amy when she fell off the monkey bars and knocked her breath out. As she is waiting to breathe again, he looks down at her and says, "You know, sometimes people die when this happens." The minute she could she came crying and running into the house wanting to know if she was going to die! Aaron just went on doing whatever he'd been doing..... And grew up to be a paramedic. I do hope he has more empathy for non-relatives.

This blog is so great. Thank you John for your efforts to keep us up to date. I'm also looking forward to Jamie's first post.

Love to you both,

Pat and Audrey

P.S. The picture of Shortie is great. Kass extols his virtues and it sounds like Sharon has had a hand in shaping his personality. I laugh every time I think about how she taught Stella to drool on command!

Anonymous said...

Jamie and John,

It sounds like you are almost home!!! I hope today goes even better than yesterday. I bet the shower will feel good and make you smell better too :)LOL Can't wait to see you. I'm sure Shorty will be thrilled to have you home!
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Way to go Jamie!!! Your progress is accelerating and you'll be home in no time! GB and BB send you a nose wiggle.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

I awoke at 2am(unusual for me) and lay there wondering how your night was going. I worried that Jamie might be uncomfortable after they began to take away her pain meds. Jamie, please do not come to the hospital to see me when I get sick. I will be SO self conscious about how I look and act after being around you!! LOL We are all inspired...........to stay well so we don't have to meet your standards! :)
I am basking in luxury this morning typing to you as I look out over the back yard and Pete's handiwork. It will be difficult to leave this little piece of paradise he has created. Thankyou again for helping me get the new computer set up, which allows me to enjoy my favorite little upstairs haunt even more!
It crossed my mind that Sharon may be practicing on the rabbits in prep for you, Jamie! I expect her to be teaching you relaxation techniques next! I truly do not know how we would get along without Pete & Sharon right now!!(They had been here who knows how many times while we were gone yesterday........Dogs were fed, BRUSHED, and exercised when we arrived! Turtle had been tended to.......etc)
I hope you get to walk out to the waiting area today and see the beautiful view from there. Maybe John can take you for a ride around the building when you get "unhooked",and, down to the cafeteria for a free meal of your choice!
Watching for your daily report.........
Love, Mom C