Thursday, May 31, 2007

A Little Slice of Heaven

Well I finally feel well enough to post. I am sitting up in the most uncomfortable chair, but it will do. I have the most amazing view of the montlake cut. I have been up for most of the day, walking the halls or sitting on the edge of the bed.

Today I awoke to my favorite nurse May saying "Good Morning!" Boy was I glad to see her. She has been a lifesaver since the day I was admitted. She takes such good care of me. She listens to how I am feeling and helps me to decide how we should proceed.

I had a rough night last night with the nurse insisting that I would be taken off the PCA and switched over to oral meds. True to form, I refused to take the meds until I had breakfast and the nausea had subsided. I realize that this is the only way I will get to come home, but I am unwilling to be convinced at 5:30 am that is time to switch meds. So needless to say, I waited until I ate breakfast and I am off the IV machine. I can now roam the halls free as a bird. It is also a million times easier to go to the little girls room by myself.

May helped me take my first shower. I kept saying to her it was like heaven and she just says "I bet it is" and laughs. I love her laugh. She is so genuinely kind. I got to wash my hair and my body...I smell a bit better now. I still have a slight "medical smell".

I was kinda sad not to have Michael as my nurse as well. He has also taken such great care of me, but sorry Michael, I'm a bit more comfortable with May giving me a bath :)

I'm definitely on the road to recovery. I am starting to feel human again. Although I just got weighed and I weigh more than when I came into this place. I am retaining a bit of fluids, which has decided to plant on my thighs and bum!! Hopefully that will go away soon, because I don't think I will be able to fit into any of my pants.

I would like to thank everyone for all their great comments. Some days when I can't read them myself, I make John or whoever is here read them to me. The really lift my spirits and calm me when I am feeling anxious. It is so nice to know that I am so loved and supported.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hooray, Jamie!

You are doing great!

But you've stolen my thunder......I always bragged I was the only person who could go in for major surgery and gain weight while there. But I never thought to attribute it to water retention! (I suspect in my case it was honest to goodness new muscle. And I can hear all who know me saying that would be the only muscle I ever had.)

Anyway, continue getting stronger and letting us share your successes.

Love,

Pat and Audrey

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
It is true - you are so loved and supported by so many people. And I know I am not alone in being totally inspired and amazed by your courage and spirit!

Glad you are able to appreciate a shower and the view on this gorgeous sunny day!

Love,

Katie

Katrina W. said...

Excellent! I was hoping you were able to appreciate how gorgeous this day has been - and you're all clean too.

Katrina

BethMc said...

I'm so happy to hear that you are off your IV and roaming freely. I know you just can't wait to sleep in your own bed. It will feel just as good as taking a shower. Grace missed seeing you at work. She was there with Kenny while I was at the zoo with Kendal's class. I believe it was good times all around. Keep on keeping on. See you soon!

Anonymous said...

Jamie, How wonderful to get a "post" directly from the Queen of the Universe. Hey, you can now join the 'boys' at hunting camp -- you've gone a week without a shower! I can only imagine how good it must have felt. Your progress in the last two days is astounding -- you have the spirit!!! Keep it up! Can't wait to come visit you at HOME. Eat, eat, eat -- you need that last milestone before you pass GO and get home. We're rooting for you!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Isn't that a wonderful view from the 7th floor?!! I would have gone up there and waited for you last week if I had known I could see Rainier.
You didn't say anything about eating, but I hope you got some things that really appealed to you today.
I'm sure John is happy to have you take over the blogging, but it would be nice if he still puts in his point of view once in awhile.
Sharon and I went up to get Will today, so my next three days will be filled with fun and games. Just a good excuse for GM to play!!
Believe me, I will be going to bet as soon as it gets dark!
I thought Shorty would be happy to see Will, but he really loves being out in the back yard and hardly comes in at all, especially when the girls are home. Tomorrow he can play with Will in his new little pool on the deck.;)
Maybe tonight will be the night you sleep through....Soon you will be snuggling in your own bed!
Looking forward to hearing from you tomorrow.
Love, Kathy

Anonymous said...

All the love and best wishes are coming your way right now from me and Kadin...I'm not one thats big on prayer but you'll be gettin' one from us that for sure and if ya haven't caught on... we love you very much...XOXOXOXO.
Casey and Kadin

Jen said...

You go girl! I am so happy for you!
Jen

Jen said...

Jamie, I am going to try to come visit tomorrow if that is OK with you. Ben is better and Chris has the day off due to a doc appt and a couple other things but I think I can come in the afternoon. Abby has a 4 yr check up at 1 so it would be after that. I will get in touch some how if I am actually coming!
Jen

Unknown said...

Jamie,
That shower must have felt so good. And no IV pump as well. It sounds like you are continuing to make good progress. It was so nice to hear an update from you today. Lita and I have now officially become addicted to your blog. We both check it multiple times a day. Looking forward to more updates.
Love, Ali
PS Watch out for my mom with the jello -- next up is probably the yogurt jello (better than it sounds) or the rainbow jello!

Anonymous said...

Just one more note... I broke out in a big grin when John said he loved to see you smile. We all do! It gave me a great visual... I can see you impressing everyone with your fortitude, and John just enjoying the fact that you are happy and smiling along with you.

Just a little longer... and then HOME!

xoxo,
Anne