Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Diagnosis and Prelim Game Plan

Jamie has stage 3 ovarian cancer and a 20 cm x 7 cm mass in her abdomen. Stage 3 means that the cancer has moved outside the uterus, into the abdomen. They're doing surgery next Thursday to remove all the cancer they find (including a hysterectomy and removing the omentum - fatty layer in the abdomen). After the surgery they'll start chemotherapy. They're leaving the rest of her lymph nodes in (if possible) so they can help spread the chemo around. Apparently, she has an unusually aggressive (for someone her age) form of cancer that's like "powdered sugar" in the body - sifting around rather easily.

Her docs sound great and she'll be working with the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance. She's also been referred to a counselor to help her process all the "good and bad days ahead." Jamie says she's looking forward to the pluses from the operation: Having a "tummy tuck", not getting cramps anymore, and being a cancer survivor! The next travel destination for Jamie & John is Australia — when she's in remission.

4 comments:

BethMc said...

Jamie you are truely a strong woman. I know with your positive disposition you will beat this cancer hands down. I've been down this path before with Heather, and I know that with love and support you will grow stronger and others will grow stronger as a result. I am here for you and John anytime and in any way. Please don't hesitate to ask anything of me. I will remember you in my prayers every night.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie
Guy and I hold you close in our hearts and prayers and are SUPER POSITIVE you are going to do GREAT.

The surgery should take almost if not all of the bugger out and the chemmo will finish the the job and you will be back as if nothing happened-except the tummy tuck...

We look forward to our golf tournys w/ you-No getting out of those so easy-So recovery will have to be swift as we know it will be.

Please DO NOT hesitate to call or page if I can help you with anything-I and Guy are here for you and your family-Please remember that-My # is 253-565-3206-HM
pager 253-416-9603/WK-253-426-4313
Ido work very closely w/ the Oncologists/surgeons at SJs as well as I prepare the Tumor Board for Oncology here-So if I can direct you to someone for answers here as well, please let me know-I am here for you.

Our Love and prayers
Guy and Kim Scalera

Anonymous said...

Jamie,
I want you to know I am always thinking about you and John. You can do this!! I will be here for you always.
Shorty is enjoying his sleep overs. His reading skills are coming along, I can see some potential. Katelyn is doing her best to spoil him, with all the dressing up.
You continue to be an inspiration to many. I love you, big sis!
Jen & Katelyn

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

David & I wanted you to know that we added your name to our baton that we are carrying for the Relay for Life June 1 & 2nd. As we walk our two hour shifts we will have you in our hearts and prayers. Funny coincidence our baton reflects a south pacific native theme to it. E-mail me when you are fully recovered and I will help you with anything to do with Australia. I've been there and have wonderful resources to give to you. I'll order up an Australia poster and send it to you.

Let me know where I can send cookies. I make these gargantuan (sp) ginger spice cookies that could bribe any hospital employee into total submission!

David & Barbara Mielke
barbaram@travelcenter4u.com