Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The First Supper

Today was a good day. So far Jamie has taken two long walks around the wing and even sat in the guest chair to surf the net and read her email. She got her first hospital meal today which the anesthesiologist said was UWMC’s standard test for nausea. This first tray was a simple affair; Jell-O, juice and some lemon Italian ice. She picked at it bit but didn’t find it appealing, so I dashed to the hotel to get some of the goods we used during surgery prep hoping to tempt her appetite.

Well apparently the food was not the issue, it was the service, because shortly after our morning routine, Pete and Sharon showed up and Sharon was stuffing Jamie like a holiday turkey. She ate her Jell-O, broth and a package of crackers Sharon ordered for her. Not to be left out Sharon restocked my stores as well and I had a nice burrito lunch.

Pete and Sharon also brought two care packages, one of their doing and another from the Stoll family. Both brought a bounty of feel good and comfort items, but mostly I think it is the positive thoughts of love and friendship that they represent that Jamie enjoys most. Sharon also graciously loaned us a few pillow cases for Jamie’s personal pillow as she has found that the hospital version is ok for propping yourself up or resting your feet on, but she prefers her sheep’s wool stuffing from home.

I think I have also forgotten to mention the balloons Fred and Kim sent previous, as they do a great job of saying you care without taking up precious floor space. Our little space is starting to look like a dorm room and based on the fact that they gave us a wall fan yesterday, it must be starting to smell like one to.

Hard to believe that tomorrow is day 7. It has all happened so fast. With Jamie’s activity level up the days seem to fly by. By the time we wake up, have our morning inspection from Dr. Goff and team, walk, bath and nap, we have just enough time for visitors then I am rushing to the cafeteria to get a last bite before it closes. Sleep is still a bit disrupted with nightly vital checks and IV changes but it works.

We can’t say enough about the great staff here at UWMC 7SE and Dr. Goff’s team. Everyone has been so helpful and supportive. Even after being in surgery since early AM, Dr. Goff still found time today to check on Jamie and bring us some copies of paperwork I asked for. The nursing staff has been excellent as well and no matter what the shift or how long they have been on duty we always get 100% from them. The combination of professional skill and compassion here is inspiring.

7 comments:

Jen said...

It just can't be said too often.....that's awesome Jamie! So glad to hear the continued good news:)
Jen

Anonymous said...

It is hard to believe that nearly a week has already passed. Glad to hear that you feel it is going quickly - Jamie has made such huge strides! I know you guys are taking it a little at a time, but it seems nothing short of amazing in its entirety.

If anyone can get the food in, it has to be Sharon. Glad you guys had such a great visit. I gave Shorty some extra snuggles at Mom and Dad's today, and in exchange he tried to kill me several times with his spontaneous playing dead/sleeping. He's going to be good company when you get home Jamie!

I leave tomorrow, but I will be checking in constantly to see how things are going. Seriously John - you've got us all hanging on your every word... I've been "addicted" to other websites before, but not sure I've checked any as much as this!

It's hard to resist the urge to call (I know, I know) but I am thinking of both of you throughout the day. I am looking forward to hearing more about Dr. Goff's game plan for the next round. It is so reassuring to see how hands on she is with Jamie.

So for tonight, a toast to Jamie and what we hope is the return of her appetite. I think I will celebrate with pizza! Love you guys...

BethMc said...

I'm happy to hear that Jamie is doing so well. I'll have some of my yummy corn chowder ready for you guys when you get home. We have to give a hand to UWMC for making Jamie and John so comfortable and well supported. It is nice to hear that you are being so well taken care of. It makes us all feel better knowing that you are in great hands.

Katrina W. said...

I'm so excited for you! Leave it to Sharon to make even the simplest of foods appealing. I aspire to some day come somewhere marginally close to the magic that Sharon and Kathy have with food.

Jame, I've got a line on a good VHS movie (upbeat summer chick flick) coming your way. I'll probably make a drop at the hotel one day soon on the way home from HV. And, Madeline drew a card for "Jamie and John and Shordee" today.

Love, Katrina

Jess said...

Jamie - we are thrilled you are making such fantasic progress! That's great news, and our thoughts continue to be with you. Thanks again for the frequent updates. At every stage, you seem to be rising to the challenges, including the new "gastronomic adventure" phase.

John, your stories are quite descriptive, and after this is over you may seriously want to look into creating the northwest's premiere truss blog...

It sounds like you are getting great support, love and camraderie. I can only imagine the scene. I suppose there are other kinds of rowdy activities going on in there for John to compare it to a dorm room. Is it possible that hospitals bring out the wild n' crazy streak deep within you?

Glad to hear you're ready for additional visitors - we will try to give John a call tomorrow to book our "party slot".

- Jess and Shane

Anonymous said...

Jamie & John,

I'm so thrilled to hear all the good news. Jello sounds yummy for a first food. Thanks to Sharon for working her magic!!! What a great idea to bring soft pillow cases. I bet you will sleep soundly and get some much more needed rest.

I have to agree with you John... I have never in my life seen such great nurses and care as I have seen for Jamie at 7SE. I know it is their job, but they obviously take pride in what they do. I am so pleased and comforted about how well they care for their patients. In 2005 they won a award for their superb quality of care, but I think they are deserving of it again. Find out if we get to vote or put in our comments??
Jamie- Keep up the good work. I am so proud of you. Say hi to May if she comes on shift again.

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Hey all- Don't forget to scroll down to the bottom of the blog to check out Jamies baseball picture. They all look the same....long, curly hair.