Saturday, June 2, 2007

Tres tortillas por favor

Today we waited, walked, waited, walked some more and waited for the big event that will buy us our freedom, Jamie’s first post op BM.

So today was quiet and restful with Leanne and Krystal from Tectonix coming for a visit and bringing us a feast from the Claim Jumper. Anyone who has been to this restaurant knows the magnitude of the portions, and can visualize how I was able to both gorge myself and still feed the rest of our wing.

Ken Sr. also paid us a visit today, delivering several short sleeve shirts. Although hopeful we will depart shortly, this summer weather has caught me a bit off guard. Ken also swapped cars with me, thinking that Jamie may have an easier time getting into Chris’ sedan as opposed to our 4x4 truck when our release finally comes. Thanks for helping coordinate this Jen, I was feeling self concious about my limited wardrobe.

Food is the ultimate ice breaker and I have learned from my Mom and Sharon to be an effective food pusher. Whenever I am in the Cancer Library, heating up a snack or organizing my inventory in the communal fridge, I offer up some sort of tid-bit to whoever is about.

In the elevator today I met our neighbor Debbie who has been here with her husband for over two weeks. Debbie was a willing recipient of some of our food and I was able to introduce her to Jamie while on our evening walk. Debbie and her husband are from Brewster (north of Wenatchee) and have been here for over two weeks as he fights advanced colon cancer. Tonight is their wedding anniversary. Before our cancer experience I would have thought, “oh what a terrible place to pass such an event” but now I see that under these conditions pomp and circumstance have little appeal, as you are just grateful for another day and the opportunity to be together.

Hopefully Debbie and I will cross paths again tomorrow and I can share one of Jennifer Nichols’ fabulous enchiladas with her. Very tasty lunch Jen, especially when combined with some left over black beans from the neighborhood Mexican restaurant.

This little restaurant is just west of the UWMC in an old house on the shore of Lake Union. Its name eludes me, but it is apparently well known as it has been recommended by several people both in and out of the hospital. It has served well as cantina for Joel and I as well as alternate dinner spot and now is the source of one of Jamie’s favorite snacks, tortillas and cheese.

We have been diligent about Jamie taking her medication on a full stomach and thus avoided nausea for over 24 hours. So after dinner tonight I walked down the back side of the hospital, along the lake to refill our supply of this super snack. It of course was Saturday night so the place was packed and I was discouraged by the line for “to go” orders which spilled out the front door and onto the street. Well, it turned out that about half these people were misguided diners trying to get a table, so before I knew it I was standing at the till. Behind the counter was a woman probably ten years my senior and obviously stressed out by the chaos of the Saturday night crowd. I ordered a side of (3) flour tortillas and then attempted to describe to her my requirement for three small sides of cheese, not unlike what a young man had given me in this very same circumstance the night before. She stared at me blankly and then fumbled with the till before turning to ask another for assistance. Grumbling away she hit a few keys and requested payment of $7.22. Feeling a tinge of sticker shock, but also acutely aware of the pressure of the line growing behind me, I tendered a $10.00 bill and eagerly collected my change.

After I received my change, the women briefly disappeared, returning with (3) ½ pint containers. It took me a while to find the words, but I eventually was able to convey to her that I was requesting three very small portions in the small salsa cups (much like you might get tartar sauce in), just as the man had given me the night before. Looking disgusted she asked me just exactly what kind of cheese I was looking for, and I replied jack or cheddar, emphasizing that only one of these large containers will do. She again disappeared to the back, but returned momentarily with my cheese. She then asked me to wait around the corner, placing me directly in the entrance to the kitchen. As the waitresses pushed around me I could see her in the kitchen where she was shouting and waving a fistful of tortillas in the air. A waitress recently impeded by my presence returned to the kitchen and immediately recognized the problem, promptly handing me the package of tortillas that the cook had already prepared for my order.

The cashier retuned to her post where I attempted to delicately ask her if I would be getting a refund now that we had settled on a much smaller quantity of cheese. She pounded the touch screen and as the till popped open, she tore three $1 bills from the drawer. Not to be outdone, I tipped her a dollar in similar style, purposely avoiding the obvious tip jar and throwing it on the counter.

My initial reaction as I stepped out onto the sidewalk was one of anger and disgust. I thought to myself, “what was the big deal, my wife has cancer and wants tortillas and cheese, why is this woman so uncaring?” However as I plodded along back towards the hospital, I reflected on my own situation and realized that there may be more going on than just tortillas and cheese for her as well. This past month has been a humbling experience, as I often wondered what made people cut you off in the grocery store or sit at a traffic light dazed for several seconds after it turns green. Maybe they are having some other issue. You can’t tell if some one’s spouse has a serious illness just by looking at them can you? Maybe they are sick (knowingly or unknowingly) or are experiencing some other sort of catastrophe or hardship themselves. You never know. So maybe we should err to the conservative side and cut them some slack, back off and just help them instead of letting our negative emotions take control.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Jamie, it must be time for the prune juice! Have you had any bananas . .. or sometines pear juice works. Or applesauce. The waiting must be frustrating. It's so good to hear how mobile you are. Hang in there!

John, your audience is hanging on your every word. You and Katrina have created a monster that is growing more ravenous every day. Truly though, it has been a wonderful tool to keep us all in the loop. Our first thought every morning is, "I wonder how Jamie is today?" Thanks for blogging!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

John,

Your post reminds me of a book I just read called "Practical Spirituality" by James Arthur Ray (awesome book, by the way) In it he says to remember that when you look into the eyes of another person, realize that you are looking at God, the Universe and Yourself at the same time. We are all connected in some way. So you are absolutely right... we all can be a bit more caring in our day to day interactions with others!

Jamie, it's so great to hear how well you are doing. I'll bet you can't wait to get out of there and have the comforts of home! Take care!

~ Shanan

Jen said...

I hesitated to write about this in the comments but I think modesty left the building long ago:) My children have a very difficult time with constipation so I know a little too much about it:) The B.R.A.T. diet is one to avoid in these times. That is Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast (white toast). Banans are a huge problem in our house! But in the reverse situation it is a good diet. On to the good foods....pardon my bluntness, the Poop Fruits all start with P! Plums Prunes Peaches Pears (and a non-fruit Popcorn works very well for my kids but may not be a safe choice for you right now). Also, I have been told that the melons, especially watermelon works wonders. Those are all the easy-to-remember foods but a few more foods to limit are cheese (sorry) and things with lots of white flour. Oh, oh, and apples are so confusing because applesauce is in the BRAT diet but apple juice is OK. We also eat a lot of strawberries, raisins, grapes, and other berries.

I hope this helps and you can get home soon!

Jen
(John, in one of your paragraphs about picking up the Mexican food you have pasted someone's email address into the middle of a word:) I loved your last paragraph by the way....so true...and easy to forget sometimes!)

Anonymous said...

Jamie-
i love you! i want to have a sleepover, not today, but this summer. go poo poo soon.
love katelyn!

BethMc said...

Well we keep thinking that this will be the day you come home and so we are hesitant on coming up. Check out day can be kind of a busy day and we don't want to delay or get in the way of your departure for the UWMC. But just know that we are thinking of you and wishing you home. I've got all my ingredients ready to start cooking you some good homemade meals.

Anonymous said...

Jamie-

I hope you have the opportunity to go out and enjoy a little sunshine. I have taken my kitchen table outside thinking I can enjoy the weather while I type my thesis paper. Currently, I am on page 50 of written pages and I still have a ways to go. I am working on Chapters 4 and 5 at the same time. When I am finished...I will have about 20-30 additional pages attached in the appendix, maybe more?? This has been a huge learning curve for me. This paper is also a very humbling experience. I never knew I could write so much and I never thought it would be this hard.

Sometimes life throws us a curve ball, but it's what we choose to do with it that matters.

Jamie and John you are a great example of celebrating the little things in life and finding humor in things that normally we might pass by because we are too busy to stop, listen, and feel things around us. Thank you for stoppping to think about the lady in the Mexican joint, you never know what her life is like.?! With kids at school, culturally responsive teachers will stop and think about what may be happening in the child's life before they react follwoing the child's negative or ODD behavior. Sometimes a little smile towards them or a comment like, "I am so glad you are here today," will make all the difference in the world to change their behavior or thier life in that moment. You never know what people or children are going through... thanks for sharing your marvelous insight.

Love you both,

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

The patience you describe usually comes from experiences that we have as we go along. You (John)did not get a lot of patience genes in your pool!! And, since everyone handles things differently, we often mistakenly assume that "cheerful" or "quiet" people have nothing going on behind the scenes. Sometimes when your dad & I are out, we kind of challenge ourselves to see if we can bring a sullen clerk out of their shell!! And, sometimes, we just get irritated!! LOL However, coaxing a smile from someone is a much more fun thing to do! I have to run and do a couple of things while Wilson is napping. Talk to you later.
Love, Mom C

Katrina said...

Aqua Verde is the cantina's name, and don't worry guys - you'll be home before you know it.

Besides, John, you still need to reveal the mystery of the Tub Room to us all...

Anonymous said...

Well, Jamie you're getting good advice all around for how to "buy" your freedom from the hospital!! Good luck!

John, you've amazed me again with your remarkable insight into the events of your trip to get cheese and tortillas for Jamie. You're learning early what takes some of us a lifetime to grasp. One of my favorite quotes is, "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." (That may not be an exact quote but it works for me.) Not that I can always recall it, but it helps me when I can. I hope you'll be able to take this "Mexican Moment" back with you into the "real world" when this hospitalization is only a dim memory.

Thanks so much for sharing your revelation with us.

Love,

Pat & Audrey

Anonymous said...

OK...off the plane, quick drive home, play with Wilson and put him to bed, then right to the blog!! The only thing that interrupted my update is a drive by shooting that just happened. Nice that we felt safer in the heart of San Francisco (surrounded by "massage" parlors with no windows) than we do at home tonight.

Anyway, sorry you are still there. I know the care is wonderful, but you must be anxious to get home. When you update the blog again will you let us know how the food supply is at home (if you know?) I just wondered if you would be taken care of this week when you returned. Is there any fresh stuff I can pick up for you? I'll be in Shelton tomorrow and could certainly make a run on my way back to Tacoma.

Looking forward to seeing you guys - hope Katelyn has healed up OK too!

One of the best things you guys can do is share some of your insights with us -- certainly we all have room to be more compassionate understanding people. And somehow it's not until it affects our loved one that we really see the light. Fortunately, you both have always done lots and lots of good things for other people -- so I think that's made up for any crankiness with strangers :)

Hope this is your last night up there - good work on your staples Jamie!!

Love,
Anne

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Jamie!!
We have been thinking of you and John constantly and keeping up to date on things through your blog and your mom and dad. Your positive and strong attitude will carry you far and the loving support of John, family and friends lifts you even higher! Know that you are kept close to everyone's heart and prayers.

We look forward to seeing you soon!