Friday, June 8, 2007

First Chemo

I got us packed and on the road by 8:45 this morning. We felt pretty rested now that we are sleeping four hours straight at a time.

It was an easy trip north this morning. Although I assured Jamie that I could navigate by memory at least as far as Seattle, she turned the navigation on as we pulled out of the driveway. It must give her that piece of mind that someone will be chirping at me giving directions even if she nods off for a quick nap.

We arrived at the SCCA with time and spare and got parked. After a brief misdirect to the third floor, we found our way to infusion on the 5th. Once Jamie let the receptionist know this was our first appointment, she happily gave us lots of instruction on where and what to do. She also apologized for things being a bit busy, but hoped we would not be too delayed.

Well they must consider 5 minutes to be a delay here, because we barley sat down and she was calling our name, and pointed us down the hall to room 23.

Jamie and I really did not know what to expect or what the process would be like. Our only frame of reference is that one “Sex in the City” episode where all the girls went with Samantha to one of her chemo sessions. My recollection of that scene is that the patient sat in one of those recliner chairs in an open clinic type setting, with the guests on folding chairs forming a semi circle while they all simulated oral sex on popsicles.

We found room 23 to be a fully enclosed mini hospital room with bed, guest recliner chair and all the other standard hospital accoutrements. Today’s nurse, Daniel, entered eagerly introducing himself and asking us what we knew or wanted to know about today’s agenda. Although I had received and read a fair amount of information on the drugs to be given while we were at the hospital, Jamie was a bit foggy at the time and thus needed a refresher. Daniel was happy to share, giving her a complete run down on the day’s medications, including handouts.

Daniel, a former 7 SE nurse himself, knew many of our caretakers from just weeks ago. This also explains why he was sure to share the Infusion nourishment center policies to me, which to my surprise were described as “liberal” and “open”. He actually encouraged me to visit and feel comfortable looking around and exploring.

Forced to contain myself long enough to help Jamie eat her lunch and get settled with her first IV’s, it felt like Christmas morning when I finally got the opportunity to go down the hall. Out in the open, unencumbered by walls or doors, is a small kitchenette, complete with microwave, refrigerator and cupboards full of tasty snacks and beverages. I returned to #23 to share my news, but found Jamie groggy from her Benadryl and frankly a bit disinterested.

As of 2:15 we are through the preliminary stuff; Zantax, Benadryl and a steroid and now into the first of two chemo drugs; Paclitaxel (Taxol). They started her off at a slow rate, but as there was no adverse reaction in the first hour, she is now sucking it up at full pace. Once we get through then it is on to the Carboplatin (Paraplatin).

Daniel his very outgoing and we soon found that we all had lots in common; guns, dogs, trucks and power tools. Daniel grew up in Sunnyslope, which many know is just a few minutes from where Jamie and I grew up. His family had horses and mules as well as a few head of cattle. Much of his outdoors time was spent in the Olympics, a favorite spot of ours.

During Daniel’s discourse on the medications he was dispensing, he was sure to emphasis those which would impair Jamie’s reasoning skills and thus presented the best opportunity to get approval for a new power tool purchase.

At first we discussed the 24 volt lithium batteried Milwaukee cordless tool set. “Oooh the one at Costco”, he replied. He said that he had the Craftsman 19.6v set and was quite please with the power and felt that the cordless feature greatly improved his efficiency on home projects. I concurred and mentioned my most popular and obvious argument which is safety. With corded tools there is always the chance that you could get tangled up in the cord, wrapping it around your legs and tripping yourself. Or even worse, getting a loop around your neck, slowly strangling yourself. Being a health care professional, he certainly seemed to want to endorse the safety argument, but was frank and said that it was not obvious to him how the strangulation scenario would actually be initiated.

But quick to recognize an opportunity, I am holding out for a GMC Durmax diesel, a comment which of course turned our conversation on trucks. He conferred that the Nissan Titan was a good ½ ton truck, which at the time we both purchased, was definitely superior to the F150, GM 1500 series and of course the Toyota Tundra in terms of power, comfort and available options for the $. His only complaint was fuel mileage, but there is always a price for being cool, and frankly I know that our12 mpg pisses Al Gore off. I wonder if Al drives a Prius around to all these movie promos?

Now more than an hour into the Paclitaxel, and a few trips to the bathroom Jamie is doing ok. I have heard a few complaints about bloating and a little sweating, but it feels hot in here to me as too. Our little room is a bit of a green house, with glass partitions on two sides. From where I sit this affords me a good view of the main hall as well as the nurses’ station. The nurses keep pulling the curtains closed to supposedly to maintain Jamie’s modesty, but I know it to keep me from spying on them.
One other item I need to share before Jamie sends me out on an errand is that all the room and station sinks are foot pedal operated. I told Jamie that I would like to add this feature to our home and she replied “sounds like something Martin would do”. What the hell does that mean? Sorry Martin, but I am not sure that was a complement.

13 comments:

BethMc said...

Jamie I love your new hair style. Lookin good! My thoughts have been with you often today. I hope your first round of chemo isn't too hard on you.

Anonymous said...

Hasn't Jamie suffered enough? You actually made her sit through the tool conversations when she was attached to an IV and had nowhere to run? Cruel, but definitely not beneath you John.

OK, who on this blog would actually have the nerve to refer to Martin Mills as ordinary? I'm sure that is all Jamie was implying... the sink was NOT ordinary. I'm sure Martin will see this as a compliment ;)

Glad that Jamie is doing OK today - hope the next few days are the same.

John perhaps you should start a companion site about your quest for food -- and you can tell your stories of survival like that guy on the Discovery channel?

Pretty soon he will be selling banner ads to your blog Jamie. Look out...

Anonymous said...

John, I have to disagree with your assessment of the Nissan Titan. In all cases nothing, simply nothing beats a 1953 dodge M37. I am glad to hear that Jamies chemo went well and hope for more good treatments.

Troy

Anonymous said...

Chemo treatment No. 1 is now behind you! Can't you just feel the army marching through your body destroying all those bad guys?! Hope you sail through Monday and Tuesday with little discomfort. Wish I had a magic wand I could wave in the air and make it all better; but, since that only happens in fairy tales, be tough!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your day went reasonably well (other than Jamie having to put up with all the truck and tool talk ;). Next treatment you can enlist your Aunt LeaAnne to introduce you to every person in the building AND have a funny story to tell each one!! There is no doubt in my mind that how you get treated has everything to do with how you treat others. Little wonder you are finding everyone so helpful! So glad to hear from you and looking forward to seeing you. Have a restful weekend.
Love, Mom C

Anonymous said...

Jamie and John,
We are thinking of you! Thank you for keeping this blog up. It wonderful to be able to read how you are doing on a daily basis. Honestly, I can hardly stay away from the comupter as I am waiting for updates.

I will echo the comments of others Jamie, in that I love the new hair cut! Have you ever had your hair so short before?

Please let us know if we can do ANYTHING for you guys!

Love,
Katie (and Brian and Maxine)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the continual updates. Jamie is constantly on my mind. I appreciate you guys sharing what she is going thru, the room etc...we'd all like to be there to encourage and distract.
Sounds like you scored with the nutrition/snack room!!
I agree with the comment about why you are treated so kindly....I witnessed Jamie always smiling her big smile and both of your thank yous to any little visit etc from each health care provider.
You two deserve the best, because you are the best and you let it show...even though you may get a little distracted with tool and truck talk!
Lots of love,
Nona and Buz

Anonymous said...

Way to go, John.....upsetting Mr. Gore. Especially since you KNOW he doesn't drive but uses public transportation. Ummmmmm

Jamie, I have to say again, you're amazing. The smile on your face when showing off your new short hair (which is VERY attractive) says it all. Your attitude is an inspiration.

We'll all be waiting to hear how your chemo is going and hoping for the absolute best for you. (I have fun trying to visualize what your cheering section would look like gathered together in one place! Does "motley crew" come to mind?!!)

John. It is past time to tell us about the Tub Room...........

Pat & Pita

Anonymous said...

Jamie-

Katelyn and I just read your blog. Thanks to the tool and truck talk, I was able to read her most of it. I had to sensor the part about strangulation and Sex in the City, but keep it coming. Your spirit and humor through all of this is amazing and worth following.

I asked Katelyn if I could give you another laugh.... She said yes, so here it goes....Katelyn got her hair done yesterday for her ballet recital, since I do not know how to twist short hair up. She fell asleep in the chair for 30 minutes while Debbie did her hair. She is the only kid I know that can fall asleep at the second she sits down. THe special girl day must have felt good to her. Not wanting to mess up her hairdo for the weekend recital events, we took Mom's advice and put a pair of nylons on her head to keep her hair in place while she slept. We have taken pictures to prove she has a silly undergarment on her head. She is very content with it on and was sad when I cut the legs of the nylons a little shorter and tied them so they wouldn't dangle for her to get caught up in it. John, I will say I thought about how dangerous the feet on the nylons could be as she slept, kind of like your cord on the power tool. I'm happy to say, Mom's nylon idea, which I thought was a little crazy at first, actually worked. I guess Mom's do know everything!!!

I love you and call Mom for anything she is a genious!!

Love,
Jennifer and Katelyn
Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Just thinking of you this morning Jamie. Hope you are feeling OK. We're around if you guys are up for a short visit in the next few days.

Love, Anne

Anonymous said...

Nicely done including the word "accoutrements". Your skills are primium...

You guys are amazing!
~Brian

Rochelle said...

Nice haircut, Jamie!

John, you failed to mention if this nourishment center includes popsicles.

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys, just finished installing my clapper activated sink in the kitchen when I read the blog. Glad to hear that Jamie is bravely charging ahead with chemo.I hope it continues to go well. And If you experience any nausea it is most likely a reaction to Johns power tool and truck chattering and not the chemo ( I had the same response on a long road trip one time). Once again let us know If we can do anything. Love, Martin, Robin, Ruby, and cowboy
P.S. John, Cummins.