Monday, June 11, 2007

Getting Through

Well, sorry I haven't posted for a bit. John was very busy this weekend trying to keep me sane. Chemo is tough. I think I am finally over the rough patch. I have my moments however. To all the people out there who have survived cancer and chemo, I commend you. I have to keep reminding myself that the nausea will only last a few days. And soon enough I won't need to have chemo, because I will have no cancer left.

I have to give a huge thank you to my neighbor Joan, who graciously agreed to give me my shot on Saturday (and she didn't even mention how bad I smelled!) I was dreading it, but it really wasn't bad. I also realized that it cost $2740.20! At least that is what the prescription tag said. I can't even imagine what this whole ordeal would be like if I didn't have great medical insurance.

John has been trying to get a wireless printer network set up at the house. I think the printer we have is not compatible with the router. I think he is trying to get things ready so I can work a little bit from home. He literally spent most of the weekend working on it, except for the times the timer was going off reminding him to dose out one of the many medications I take. It's weird to go from taking one multi-vitamin a day to an around the clock drug regimen. I'm pretty sane, but it is difficult for me to even keep track. John is my rock, keeping me on track and listening to me babble when I am going a little crazy. I have to give the biggest I Love You and Thank You to Him.

I also have to thank the elder Crase's for the portable DVD player. As I can't lay on my side yet, it has come in handy in the bed. It is just the right size and I can enjoy a episode of Sex and the city before I drift off to sleep. I also have to thank Pete and Sharon for the tiny pillow cases for my new wool travel pillow and the drawers for the bathroom. I also have to thank my Mom for finding me some more nightgowns. Thanks Beth for stopping by at lunch to watch me eat some of your wonderful corn chowder and bring me girl movies (as my brother calls them.) I know it's a huge load off John to be able to lean on you all. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

As for the new do...it has come in handy. Thank you Wendy for giving me such a stylish new do. It is so much easier to take care of and if I don't want to I don't even have to blow it dry. Today John insisted that I take a shower (personal hygiene was not high on my list Sat or Sun, sorry to those who stopped by and had to smell me) today and it was great. I did style my hair just a bit, but promptly fell asleep and have bed head.

Thanks again to everyone who comments. I don't always get to look at them in a timely manner, but I enjoy going back and reading all your kind words. I am looking forward to getting some advice from John's Aunt LeaAnne who just clobbered breast cancer herself. She will be here shortly and plan to get all her coping strategies for chemo.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie -

It is so good to see you post, even when you aren't feeling so good. We really appreciate your effort in that department. And the great thing about the blog is that we can't smell you, so you don't have to get spiffed up for "company." ;)

I will be by tomorrow at lunch time - if anything sounds good, please let me know and I can stop on my way down. Same to you John - Wilson and I will happily deliver!

This cancer doesn't even know you've called in the big guns... just wait until Aunt LeaAnne arrives. She will have it running scared! Lol... you two will be a great team. Such strong women.

Love,
Anne

Love,
Anne

Jen said...

So good to hear directly from you Jamie. You have answered all of my questions/concerns about how this first round of chemo is treating you. You are the first person that I know that is going through chemo so the only info I have on the subject is from TV & movies...quite accurate I'm sure:) It's nice to hear that your spirits are high and that you are still able to enjoy some favorite shows:)
Jen

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting, Jamie. You are so amazing!! So glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. We have really been wondering how you have been doing. We realize how addicted we are to checking in on you daily through this blog! The good news for us is that we can always track down your sister for updates in between blog entries ;-). Brian would be more than happy to come by and offer some IT support if that would be helpful. Just let us know.
Much love,
Katie and Brian

Anonymous said...

Jamie, so good to get a post from you! The "elder" Crases -- I love it! Yuk, yuk, yuk.
Just get through the nausea an hour at a time, or even minute by minute --that's got to be rough. You are such a trooper. Go ahead and scream and yell and throw things if it helps. Don't strain your tummy muscles though! (Your cheering section will even come over and scream with you.)
Sharon

Anonymous said...

I never get near the computer that Pete doesn't ask me "is there anything new"...ie., have we heard from John or Jamie? We just hope today was a little more comfortable than yesterday and tomorrow a little more than today. I got to hold GB tonight and they are just getting more gentle all the time. Hope you are sleeping better each night. Let us know what you need.
Love ya........

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Jamie, for giving us a firsthand update. You're an inspiration to us all. I'm so pleased LeaAnne will be coming to be YOUR inspiration!! She is amazing.

John, I will forever admire how you've supported and tended to Jamie. You have a sensitivity I'm excited to have witnessed and I know everyone is as proud of you as I am.

Katrina, what a terrific thing this blog has been. Thank you so much for your efforts. This is the first time I have used this form of communication and I'm appreciating it on many levels. The pictures are especially enjoyable!!

As a part of the "elder" generation (go ahead and laugh, Sharon!!) I have renewed admiration and great hope for our future based on what I've read here.

My best to everyone.

Pat & Audrey

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

It was nice chatting with you on the phone today.

I would love to come over for a visit, even if you are not smelling your best, I can even skip a shower too if that makes you feel better, really:)

Katelyn is counting down the days for when school is out. I put her to bed and she was saying "nine more days of school then take one away and we will have eight, then take one more away and we will have seven." By the time I got to the bottom of the stairs, I think she was already asleep. I knew she couldn't make it to five before she was asleep.

This summer we will come and take you for a stroll, or a drive, or whatever you are up for. We can head to Mom and Dad's house to sit in the quiet and calming backyard.

Katelyn, Nick, and I are thinking about you all the time. WE LOVE YOU!

Jennifer
P.S. You will have to fill me in on Sex in the City. I was hooked on watching the show about five years ago, but I only got through season three or four:)

Katrina W. said...

Kickin' ass, just like I knew you would. Love you both!! Strawberry bread and other provisions coming to you later this week. Joel will follow up with John about the network too...

I watch SATC before bed too, only on TV (yours are better...uncensored).

See you soon Jame! Love, Katrina

Shane White said...

Strawberry bread...oh holy baked goodness of the apocolypse!

Glad to hear of your continued progress Jamie. Dig the hair too. :)

=s=

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

So good to hear from you... on your blog and on mine :) Goodyear is just a hop-skip away from where I live in the Phoenix area. I'm also hoping to get up your way some time in the not-too-distant future (though it'll probably not be 'till next year). I'd love to get together & catch up!

It's good to see you are in good spirits, and I can only hope that everyone out there who is going through chemo has such a wonderful support network like you do. It's great to see so many comments, and to know you're being taken care of, so you can just concentrate on healing and getting this thing over and done! Australia is soon to be yours! :)

~ Shanan

jkluginbill said...

Jamie glad to read that things are moving along swimmingly! I am impressed with each post on your strength and great attitude. You are fabulous.

Thanks for the comment on Archer's picture. It is hard for me to remember him at that age sometimes, but that would be the age you would remember him well. :)

You continue to be in our prayers. Give John a hug and yourself too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie and John
Jamie I love your short hair -it looks GREAT and I am sure a whole lot easier to take care of..I hope you are hanging in there with the chemo-the treatment is defintitley for the strongest of strong-which you are w ith that wonderful husband of yours and family I know you will pull through triumphantly.
I think about you daily and pray that with each day all will get easier for you and what you have to face-Thank you for taking the time to write and let us all know how you are doing what a special gift for us all ... Keep up the GREAT fight and know you are always in our hearts and prayers-
Love Guy and Kim Scalera

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie,
It has pretty entertaining to read all of John's comments...I agree he should publish a book when he is done...But what a treat to hear from you.
This little sideroad with cancer needs to be dealt with just one step at a time. When I have to walk any hill, I just keep my head down and keep on walking so that I don't know how much further I have to go.....before you know it you're at the top...and stronger than you realized.
Love ya,
Nona and Buz

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

You are doing so great! I know Katelyn enjoyed checking in on you... I think she called you her "precious darlin" Well you are everyones darlin, we just love hearing how well you are doing.

Shorty loved that wind up lady bug toy. He was struttin his stuff thinking he was going to get that toy, that just wouldn't stop moving. I think dog 4-H might be calling his name. He is pretty cute and good with kids. What a dog!!!

Well have a great day today, maybe when you get to season three or four in Sex and the City, I can come join you for a few episodes. I have never been filled in on how they ended their final season:)

Talk to you soon.

Jennifer

Unknown said...

Hi Jamie.

Your new haircut looks great! Kind of makes me miss the ease of short hair. Sorry to hear that chemo has been rough. Hopefully you're feeling a little better today. I have a care package in the works for you that I hope to get in the mail next week (depending on how fast I knit this weekend).

Also, I saw an article on early dectection of ovarian cancer in the New York Times today. It had several quotes from Dr. Goff -- she seems to be very famous. I'd be happy to forward on the article if you're interested.

Take care.
Love, ali