Sunday, June 3, 2007

All quiet on the SE front

Dr. Goff returned this afternoon from her trip to Boston. Although Dr. Tamimi had covered her official duties this morning, she came by just to check in and get a jump on her work for the week. I certainly admire her dedication to both her profession and her patients.

Once again May was our day nurse, which always raises Jamie’s spirits. May has to be one of the most efficient people I have ever met. I don’t know how she cares for (3) patients, yet always attends to Jamie in an unhurried style, with plenty of time for general conversation.

Becky Maffei paid us a visit today, barely out of here herself after having two knee surgeries. She recovered just two weeks ago one floor below where we are now. Becky replenished my cookie supply ensuring that I continue to receive proper nutrition while also having treats to reward our fabulous nursing staff. She also replenished our library and I am grateful for I just finished the book I brought, only to discover that some of our outside guests have been tearing pages out of our magazines.

I had to go do a little shopping and get some Starbucks, so I missed most of Becky’s visit. This is most disappointing as I had hoped we might compare notes on the 6 NE nourishment room and that of our own wings.

We also got a package from Boston today, thanks Lita for the tasty walnut dream bars—they traveled very well and are an excellent complement to my cookie ensemble. I haven’t seen any sugar cookies from New Jersey though. Going to let your sister-in-law show you up?

Reconciled that our departure may still be a couple of days away, I figured I have gotten all the mileage I could out of the two pairs of shorts I had (we are talking outerwear, maybe later I will go into detail about my super-duty travel boxer shorts) and decided that it was time to do laundry again. Luckily the family lounge has a washer and dryer, a stacked unit that reminds me of that in our first apartment, both in appearance and performance. I waited until well into the evening to start, just to avoid disrupting the other guests, but found the lounge occupied when I arrived. Despite several attempts, I was unable to get my load balanced. Re-counting every item, right down to my socks, I tried to apply my engineering skill and place my garments in perfect symmetry, two shorts, four t-shirts, six socks and two pair underwear. Each time the machine came up to speed it started rocking and howling as if it were going to hop across the room and jump out the window.

Whether it was my self consciousness or actually the noise itself, I found the ruckus intolerable. I apologized to the other guests and promptly left hoping they will allow it to run full cycle and won’t leave me with soap in my undergarments.

Although now Okayed to wear civilian clothes, Jamie has developed a preference for her hospital garb, enjoying both their freedom and economy. I have considered making a similar switch; however I am concerned that the staff may not be so accepting and could use it as rationale to revoke my linen room privileges, placing further restriction on my movements.

Jamie has been healing well and is in excellent spirits. With her increased mobility and independence our lifestyle has transformed from one of intense medical care to more like a stay in a Finnish youth hostel or rural Vietnamese motel, the major differences being most of the TV is in English and nobody rides their motorbikes down the hall.

We have both hit the wall with the institutional food, just high grading Jamie’s meal trays and relying more on outside sources. Our family (which includes the Martinez faction) has supplied us with a steady supply of rations, which I supplement with goods from the local QFC. Several times a day I go to the family lounge to change the cold packs in my cooler and rotate the stock with that in the refrigerator. I have commandeered an entire drawer for our cache, keeping things well marked with our name, room number and date in accord with the posted regulations. Several outsiders have asked me if I fear food piracy, but it seems that people here to support family members battling something as serious as cancer are unlikely to engage in such behavior purposefully.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

See how closely we are following your posts? I had a feeling you might add something tonight, so I was checking before bed. Glad to hear that Jamie is feeling upbeat, despite the ellusive BM...

Let me know what tomorrow's social calendar looks like! If you really will be there for a few more days I'd love to come up for a visit.

Email my work address OK?

Thanks,
Anne

Unknown said...

Ooooh, John has thrown down the gauntlet and publicly called me out. (Didn't this result in the infamous pig Christmas cookie last time?) And I'm about to be shown up by Walnut Dream Bars...I think it's time to dust off the mixer and get out my recipes. Really.

Jamie, hope that you're feeling better everyday. Wish we were there to join your stream of visitors, hopefully we'll be out to visit again soon.
Love,
Ali

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear you are progressing toward your escape to your own digs. Shorty will be delighted to have you home.
The meals on wheels kitchen here is heated up and the freezer is filling up, so will be eager to come for a visit after you are comfortably home.
We survived Grape's 90th B'day, yesterday, so are prepared to cater yours, too.
Thinking about you constantly and sending good vibes your way. God Bless
Love, Judy and Don

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys,

I love reading the posts ~ I'm cracking up all the time at them!

I loved getting to Seattle to see you Jamie ~ you were so funny. You make sure John stays out of your stash of food. :) Good to see you bossing him around, I can tell you are feeling a bit better.

You just really need to let loose that BM already (as if it were really that easy) ~ I'm ready for another visit with you soon!

~ Leanne :)

Anonymous said...

hi girlfriend ...

just a note to say hi and tell you i have been keeping up on your and john's every move... i love to read john's stories... they make me laugh outloud.. i am so glad you are doing sooo well. i'm sure you are looking forward to escaping in the near future. you hang in there... it will happen very soon. keep up the good recovery and know i think of you often... love sally

Anonymous said...

Jamie -- keep doing those laps around the nurses station and up and down the halls and maybe it'll jog something loose and break you out of there! Darn it anyway -- we would have been up to see you if we had known you would still be in captivity but there's no outguessing bodily functions! We'll see you at home!! Keep up the good spirits!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Jamie -

The elusive bm. I've had 16 surgeries and found out I could never have one in the hospital because, it was just not my own bathroom and I could not relax. I am making you cookies tonight with prunes in them to help. I know how it feels to lay there and not get out because of the elusive bm. I learned to fib. David and I have almost recovered from our lack of sleep during the Relay for Life. Amanda walked 12 miles in the blazing sun because she said it was what she was supposed to do for everyone that had cancer. I will find a way to get those cookies to you soon!

BM (Barbara Mielke) My nurse friends tease me because of my initials. I should have kept my maiden name.

Anonymous said...

And now for a little hidden message therapy ;) ...

I'll Bet Most that you're now waiting for that Big Moment. The time when you can Breathe More easily. When you can Bust'a Move and Be More free. But Mostly you need to just Be Merry, rest easy and trust that your Beautiful Moment of freedom with come at the Best Moment possible.

I think I've worked too hard today... my Brain's Melted ;)

Seriously though, it's good to hear that you're doing so well! Keep your smile on, and you'll heal up in no time!

~ Shanan

BethMc said...

Isn't it funny how we're all waiting around to here about your bodily functions. It reminds me of going to the bank in Lakewood and having the tellers know everything that was going on in my life. Wishing you the happiest of movements.