Thursday, June 14, 2007

Brief Update From The Trenches

Jamie's fabulous doctor, Dr. Barbara Goff (photo at left), was featured in the NY Times yesterday (tip from Ali). I thought it was fun to put a face to the name, especially since John describes Goff as a "fiesty red-head"... I love Dr. Goff.

Jamie had tomato soup for lunch today (and a very good time) when she went out with her dad. And her brilliant dad also recently hired a part time gal to help with Jamie's job. This is easing Jamie's mind and lowering Kenny's stress level (he was covering for Jame).

She's also been keeping busy by weaning herself off the really good pain meds (Oxycodone - usually kept under lock and key at the hospital). But, just saying no is allowing her longer stretches of sleep (although maybe fewer technicolor-crazy dreams).

John's Aunt LeaAnne also brightened Jamie's day, and gave her some very good advice and insight today when she visited. LeaAnne just clobbered Inflammatory Breast Cancer herself, and was also on an aggressive 15-day chemo schedule.

9 comments:

Jamie said...

Thanks Katrina for updating. I was trying to figure out how I could get Dr. Goff's picture on my blog. She is amazing and I feel so fortunate that she is my doctor. I love her too. I think she will be a huge part of my successful recovery. I am also glad John's aunt LeaAnne is here to give me lots of great tips. One being a laxative every day. Finally I feel human again. I guess that will just be my life for a while--daily laxative!! LOL

Anonymous said...

Yea, Jamie! Ask any "old person"...regularity is everything! LOL See, you will be a step ahead in old age! :)
Snuggle Shorty for me!
Love, K

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Katrina, from all us Blog Junkies!

Jamie, So glad you had an 'outing' with your Dad. On the days you feel good, it'll be great to get out of the house before cabin fever sets in. Plus, this nice weather should be enticing. Enjoy your 'feel good' days!
Sharon

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Jamie! I saw your Dr. Goff on TV last night.....what a presence. I knew you were in expert hands but the woman is impressive.

Glad LeaAnne is there to not only share treatment advice with you but I know she's making you laugh. Humor is a great medicine....one you don't have to worry about side effects or addiction!

Love to all (two & four legged),

Pat & Audrey

Anonymous said...

i love you. did you eat the bran muffin i brought you? i like tomato soup too but my mom doesn't. say i love you shorty from me Katelyn

Katelyn

Anonymous said...

Jamie-

Your doctor is amazing. It feels good to know you are in such good hands with her. I bet it was nice to go out with dad. Hopefully his driving didn't drive you crazy!!! Just kidding dad. LOL to you Jamie and I am glad you got some great advice from a survivor!!!Way to go Leanne!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

A thank you to Katrina for updating... even though I just saw Jamie on Tuesday, I still find myself checking the blog all the time! And even though I knew of Dr. Goff's notoriety before your surgery, it did stop me in my tracks to see the NYTimes article. You are a celebrity by association! ;)

OK, maybe not a national celebrity just yet, but from the looks of this blog you are being tracked as closely as Angelina Jolie! Someday you will wish for your privacy again, but for now I hope you don't mind us hovering, fussing and thinking of you constantly.

Looking forward to a hug on Saturday (I missed this on Tuesday thanks to Wilson's non-stop curiosity). See you soon -

Love,
Anne

Anonymous said...

Jamie, You are doing great! Make sure you don't try and do to much. Get your rest, as it is the best way for your body to heal.
Nick

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie -

Wondered if I could stop by for a solo visit on Wednesday afternoon? Dave's sister will have Wilson and I was hoping to see you before you went to Seattle. Let me know if you are up for company :)

Love,
Anne