Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Gearing Up

I thought many of you would like an update. I am completely off all the pain meds except tylenol, which has actually made me feel much better. I still have muscle pain, but it is not unbearable. Hopefully this will make my second round of chemo a bit easier to stomach.

John and I will be travelling to SCCA on Thursday for a blood draw and a meeting with a nurse practitioner Barb Silko. We haven't met her yet, but do I have a million questions for her. I have an early appt on Friday for the installation of my port-o-cath, which will make getting chemo and blood draws much easier. It is a permanent line to my vein. It can stay in for many years. My arms are so bruised, it will be a welcome addition. Friday will as be chemo #2!!

John has been like a drill Sargent this week. He expects me to be up and ready for a walk by 11:15. We had to skip the walk today, due to the fact I can't roam far from a bathroom facility. I think the laxative is finally working, maybe a little too well. We sat out in the front yard and watched Shorty run around and scratch his back on the grass. We tried to get him to play fetch, but he was having no part of it. I think he is really missing going to work. Although on days like today, I think he had a good time roaming the yard.

Today we went to an afternoon Tea at our neighbor's house for Kate's graduation. What a wonderful party. It is very exciting to hear of Kate's upcoming trip to Prague and her future enrollment at WSU. I don't feel as if I am getting too old, but when we moved into our house, Kate was in elementary school. John and I had only been married for a couple of years. Hard to believe we will celebrate our 11th anniversary later this summer.

My friend and hairstylist Wendy stopped by yesterday to drop off some frozen meals. Thank you I think I will be eating one tonight. She just had a surgery on Thursday and I'm glad to say everything went A-Okay!! She's one tough cookie!! Thanks for the visit.

This weekend we went to an awesome party thrown by John's parents. Joel and Katrina and the kids also attended after spending Friday evening at our house. As per the usual, there was amazing food, friends and family in attendance. It was a long day for me, but it was good to get out. As John says, "you can't be recluse. You have to get out". He's good about getting me rolling, even when I don't want to roll. I'm looking forward to some more summertime get-to-gethers. I'm sad to say tho, July 3rd won't be one of them. I guess there will not be fireworks at the lake. I'm kinda bummed, but understand that the family who puts on the show, doesn't want to fork out the 25-30 thousand it costs each year. Maybe we will still have to have a party anyway.

I'll let you know how things go on Friday!!

9 comments:

BethMc said...

It's good to hear that you're off the hard stuff. Now that school is out, the kids and I can go out for walks with you anytime. I'm sure Shorty would like to have a visit from Lou Lou as well.

Anonymous said...

You were such a trooper on Saturday! I could not believe how long you held on - we felt very lucky that you made it through the whole afternoon :) I was particularly pleased to see you enjoying a little bit of Mom's poundcake and those fabulous Spooner's strawberries. You even found the energy to keep Wilson entertained, which is a constant challenge these days! It was a really great day for everyone.

Great work on your meds!

Love, Anne

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update. Way to go, getting off all that pain medication. I am amazed at how you look better and better every time I see you. You are so strong. Anytime you want to go for a walk, I will be up for it. I bet you will be making it all the way to Bigelow Park soon. Get lots of rest and sunshine!!

Jennifer

Katrina W. said...

Thanks for an excellent sleep over! It was great to hang out - as always - and amusingly fun to have John be the one up until 1:00 a.m. gabbing with Joel and I while you snoozed on the couch. ;o)

And, it was great to go to the party too. Fabulous fun as usual.

Look forward to seeing you on Friday, and some summer adventures as well. I'm scheming up some zoo trips and camping plans too.

-Katrina

Anonymous said...

I love that I got credit for Sharon's pound cake! LOL (Are you listening Tanaka!!) If I had to put on a function without her, I would probably flounder completely!

I loved watching the kids together on Saturday and getting to see Joel and Katrina. Thanks to J&J for bringing them.

Don't be sad about the 4th, Jamie! Your family has a wonderful celebration and you will have fun with all the "informal" fireworks at the lake!!

We all know how hard you are working, even if we don't tell you each time we see you. It's difficult sometimes for us to balance between "attentive" and in-your-face, so forgive us if we bug you!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update, Jamie. I finally had to ask Kass for news since it's been a while since anyone's "blogged".

Tell John he can't quit us. He has literary talents I wasn't aware of and he needs to share them now and then.

I'm actually glad to hear you're bummed about the big fireworks display. I'd be concerned if you DIDN'T care.

Have you thought about using fiber (like Metamucil - but the less expensive generic) instead of laxative? You can use it daily and then you don't have the problem of having to hang around home!! Just a thought....(and don't forget to drink lots of water. And more water!!)

I hope you're getting lots of sunshine over there. It's supposed to be 90+ here today. Too warm for me but I know some people love it.

I'm always thinking of you and sending good thoughts your direction. Again, thanks for the update.

Love,

Pat (and A.A.)

Anonymous said...

Great to see you yesterday (and you John) and always fun to see Jennifer and Katelyn. Hope you guys are able to enjoy a little quiet time tonight in Seattle. I'm sure things will go smoothly tomorrow. We will wait for the update from John :)

Love,
Anne

Anonymous said...

After tomorrow you'll be one more step closer to being done! Hope it goes as smoothly as your last treatment and that your port makes it easier. Enjoy dinner out tonight and we'll see you when you get back.
Sharon

Anonymous said...

It's great to see your progress, and know you're doing well. You have prayers and support coming at you from every angle! Even my husband's Aunt Diana is praying for you... and that's some quality prayer! She is part of a group that has been praying continuously, around the clock, for over 100 years at a church in Michigan. They take turns, putting in an hour or two at a time, lighting candles and saying prayers for friends, family and anyone in need. And you're now included in their prayers!

Hope your next treatment goes well, and that the port helps to ease some of the discomfort. This will all be but a memory soon!

~ Shanan