Friday, July 20, 2007

Test of Strength

Back in Seattle. I decided to once again test the strength of our marriage and not heed Jamie’s warnings to make a reservation at the Silver Cloud well in advance. Who would of thought that I wouldn’t be able to simply call up the night before and get a room. It is only July, and I am trying to get a room at a value priced waterfront hotel with a pool in Downtown Seattle.

So the Marriot it was. No free breakfast, no free parking. I did get a SCCA rate though. I am getting good at prodding the reservation clerk for a better rate. And cancer has obviously given Jamie the same new perspective and patience it has given me. Only a very mild scolding followed by a brief critique and comparison to the Silver Cloud. Just enough to prompt me to get that reservation for our next visit set up today.

With Jamie’s strength growing every day, we find our trips to Seattle include a little more fun and leisure each time. Last night Katrina and Joel introduced us to the Kangaroo and Kiwi, a public house on Aurora. Great little joint with a barmaid imported from Down Under along with lots of AUS/NZ beers and menu. The girls had chips and Aussie pie, while Joel and I were a bit adventurous and let our hostess select. So it was pizza and wings for us.

Now those that know Jamie and I well, are probably looking quizzical right now, as they are aware of our shared distaste for chicken on the bone. But even a short trip to SE Asia will cure you of any apprehensions you may harbor about food texture. So with a pint or two down already, I had BBQ sauce on my chin and was happily sucking the meat and skin off the wings, mostly because I am almost certain that this is in fact chicken.

As the evening wore on, several other patrons began setting up for beer pong, a game where you try to toss a ping pong ball into an array of beer cups set up in front of your opponent. It is one of those drinking games where who is truly the loser and the winner is a subject of much debate, because if your opponent makes his target, you must drink. For me the only downside would be an adversary that was a poor shot and took several tries as they cycle through the same three balls each, giving them only a quick dip in a bin of water after they hit floor.

The crowd was very congenial (or perhaps ignored me) as my in questioning soon turned into satirical commentary as I asked “why don’t you they fill the cups up further” or “real men would use whiskey (which would be more sanitary as well)”.

We left shortly thereafter on our own accord and unharmed as well, both Joel and I thankful to have our wives as our designated drivers. After dinner I presented Joel with his M&M bar shirt, a gift from my mother. Knowing just his size and fashion taste, I am sure Joel will get good wear out of it. I have one as well, and thus we will have to be a bit careful. Despite our bond as hunting partners, dressing in unison is a little bit too much and outside the circle of those familiar with Butte may be misinterpreted.

It is now a bit passed noon and thus we are through more than half of today’s session. Jamie is watching “Dream Girls” on her portable DVD, thankfully with headphones on, while I catch up on this and other computer related chores. First set of lab reports for today’s blood draw have all come back good, with just a small drop (30% compared to 33%) red blood cell count, initiating a simple Darepoetin injection for a boost (like some pro athletes have been busted for according to nurse Dan). CA-125 values are plummeting as well, but in this case it is a good thing. Pre surgery levels exceeded 4,000, but after the July 6th labs we had 51. We are still waiting on this morning’s results, but seem to be getting much closer of the desired “norm” of 25.

Jamie looks as strong and beautiful as ever. During our consult yesterday, we got the go for increased activity such as yoga and swimming, with approval for some hiking if she feels up to it in the future. Carrying a pack is an issue because the shoulder straps can conflict with the catheter on the power port, but our Nurse Practitioner, Barb Silko, is an active woman herself and thus able to offer some practical advice on pack types as well.
This is great news for both of us, as we are eager to return to as much normalcy as possible and enjoy the rest of the summer. I even brought up the subject of bicycling, approved if Jamie feels able, and am certain I will enjoy my new bicycle even more if Jamie is riding alongside me.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

John and Jamie-

Your posts bring me to laughter and tears of joy that Jamie is doing so well. I am so happy you get the go ahead to begin activities again like swimming, yoga, biking, and hiking. All of them sound like fun...I know John has the biking covered so if you want to go for a dip at the pool just let me know.

As for your late night partying, I am glad some things haven't changed...It sounds like you and John can get a little out of control:) I'm glad you have the ladies to keep you on the good side of the law as your designated drivers. LOL

Jamie- I hope your numbers come back to a normal of 25 it sounds like you were close last time. I will keep my fingers crossed. It is a good day to be inside watching a chick flick, because it will not stop raining.

Katelyn, Soren, Eloise and I went over to feed the rabbits. We decided to stay for awhile to play with the train, and marble game. It was such a chore ot get three kids and car seats in my car that I had to make the trip last a little longer. We helped ourselves to some 100 calorie snacks. We shared of course so hopefully your stash won't feel like you are missing any. Thanks for letting us enjoy GB and BB bunnies, they were eager to see Katelyn. They took a carrot out of her hand.

Have a wonderful afternoon with Joel and Katrina. We will take care of the bunnies so if you want to pull an all nighter and hang out in Seattle, go right ahead:)

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

I was just wondering how you were doing and John was kind enough to post an update! Such service! :) I'm so glad to hear that things are continuing to go well. You are doing great!

~ Shanan

Anonymous said...

Yeah!! So glad you got the word on increased activity. (Although you may wish that she ruled out biking if John's enthusiasm continues...)

So nice to know that you are able to enjoy a movie while John broadcasts the intimate details of your life to cyberspace :) Nothing like the "privacy" of your hospital room, right? Just kidding of course... I was starting to get worried when I didn't see a blog post right away! I think we all love hearing from (both) of you whenever you find the time.

OK Jamie - I'm up for our next "activity" anytime you are!! Wilson promises not to be such a whiner this time...

Looking forward to seeing you in the next few days!!

Love,
Anne

Jen said...

Awesome Jamie! Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!
Love,
Jen

Katrina said...

Fifty-one! YeeHaw!!! I'm loving that number. Way to go!

Love, K

Anonymous said...

That CA number is totally, totally FANTASTIC!! You made the sun shine for a lot of people today! You and John are going to be doing all the outdoor acivities you like before you know it. Shorty better start pumping iron! No, he may not have steroids.

Chicken wings, huh? I would have never believed it. Does that mean I have go to the Congo jungles to get over my fear of snakes?

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Jamie

I am glad to hear that your health is returning to normal. You and John may want to consider joining the Valley for Yoga and swimming. Jennifer would love to have you swimming next to here and may even enjoy attending Yoga classes with you. While you ladies are having fun John and I could pick up racquet ball or do some off road Mt. bike riding. As far as hiking goes, John step up and be a man and carry enough stuff for both of you in your pack so Jamie doesn’t need to carry one! Jamie I am glad to hear you have received the go ahead to increase your activity level, just remember to take it slow and easy it is not a competition or race. As I have said in all my previous notes, get your rest it will make you feel better. =0)

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to catch up... Jamie, glad to hear you got a chance to catch Dreamgirls, I didn't think it was bad myself. Anne and I took turns nodding off when we took my grandma to the play a few years back (it was like 3 hours!) Good show, good show... The bar sounded fun... John, glad you found your bike in good ol' Tacoma. 'Twas good seeing you both last weekend! Sounds like Jamie is making great progress! Sometimes John, we men have to stand up and make a decision sometimes :) I'm glad Jamie didn't give it to ya to badly about the hotel.

-Dave

Shane White said...

Awesome news. Glad you're getting out and about, Jamie. Cool bike, John!

=shane and the staleywhite=

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!! Love those numbers! Good work!!

Sorry Jamie, another "repulsive" gene,that one for waiting until the last minute. I have it on a daily basis & Pete has it when we travel.Wish I had read your blog before we arrived tired in Wallace and I had to look at eyebrows pressed together when all they had to offer was a smoking room. Worked out great as we found a new little place in Kellog where the owner brings her dogs to work and informed me that "people seldom travel with problem dogs," and she does not understand what all the fuss is about. Extra revenue and filling those less desireable rooms, I think.

If you do hiking with Joel & Katrina, you can send the boys on a l-o-n-g hike up a strong slope so they will sleep well and stay out of trouble? LOL

Talk to you soon.
Love, K

BethMc said...

Jamie your almost there. Way to hang in there so tough. I bet it isn't as easy as you make it look! I'm proud of the both of you!

Anonymous said...

Sorry it has been a tough couple of days. Feeling better is just around the corner. Good thing you have such a fun weekend to look forward to! Hope Shorty is enjoying a little snuggle time while you rest.

Love,
Anne

Anonymous said...

Jamie-

Hang in there!!! It was great seeing you yesterday. Katelyn enjoyed Shorty and the bunnies. Remember what Katelyn said... You get the frosting and John gets a bite of cake. We love you and know you will feel better very soon.

Jennifer & Katelyn

Anonymous said...

Hi J & J,

It was great to see Kass & Pete and get an in-depth report on you guys.

We had a very quiet 70th Anniversary celebration with a repast that can only be prepared by the Crases. It was Owens Brothers filet, with salmon, collard greens, asparagus, and treats from Pete's garden (kolrabi and raspberries). While it would usually be an occasion for gathering all the family, I have to admit neither GM or GP would have been up to such a celebration. But we HAVE to plan our own get-to-gether soon. I really want you, and Anne, Dave and Wilson to spend some time with Aaron, Amy, Amber and families. Maybe after we get back from Australia? (Oops, did I forget to mention I'm stowing away in your luggage? I've been waiting for a chance to go back....I loved the Aussies and being there is like being in the U.S. 60 years ago.)

Anyway, I know you've had some very rough days, Jamie, but you amaze us all with your positive spirit. I was really impressed with your trip across the Narrows bridge but then you had to top it with a trek all the way back to TCC! Wow.

I understand the bunnies have been Sharonized!! I just hope she didn't teach them to drool! (I wonder if it's too late to contract her to teach Audrey something. Make that anything. This dog is a real loser and one only a mother could love!!)

Aaron told me about all your rain so we're hoping some of it will find it's way across the mountains to us. We could really use it.

Love to you both and keep up the good work. You have a remarkable circle of friends and relatives in your corner so success is absolutely yours!!!

Pat

Anonymous said...

P.S. Where did you dig up those new pics? I think we all are enjoying these photos from the "archives" - hope they made you smile too!

-Anne

Anonymous said...

Sorry to read that you've had a few rough days. Hope today has been a good one.
Sharon