Sunday, July 15, 2007

Narrows Bridge Walk

Today we braved the crowds and set forth and conquered the New Narrows Bridge. I had heard you could walk across the bridge today and decided it was one of my goals. John, Anne, Wilson and I waited for the shuttle at TCC and rode to the bridge. There were lots of people and a suspicious package when we arrived at the top of Jackson street where the bus dropped us off. We walked down the hill and were finally allowed to start the trek across the span. It was pretty neat. Some people know that my Great Grandfather was an electrician on Galloping Gertie and the Narrows bridge and was one of the first to walk across the top catwalk, so I felt it was something I wanted to be able to say I did...on the bridge deck of course.
The walk was great. I always seem to get a side ache on my left side when I walk and I developed one on the way to the Gig Harbor side, but it soon went away. The crowds were thick, so we weren't able to walk very fast, which was probably a good thing for me. We made it to the GH side and turned around to walk back. Just about to the end we ran into Becky, Dawson, Claudia and Claudia's husband and got to chat before we decided not to brave the shuttle line and walk all the way back to TCC by foot. John kept asking me if I could make it and I surprised myself by saying I could. I felt great! Just hungry. We picked up lunch at MSM deli, which was delicious, and ate back at Anne's house.

John also got his new Cannondale bicycle today. We had forgotten about Olde Towne Cycles in Olde Towne Tacoma. The guys there were very knowledgeable and fitted John with his new mountain bike. They are opening a new store in Olympia, so he will be able to take advantage of their service plan as well. He's like a kid in a candy store...so excited. The first thing he wanted to do was read his manual, so he will be ready to take it on the trails. Hopefully this will keep his mind off Diesel trucks for a while.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a fun day - you were awesome Jamie! I don't think I've ever seen you eat a whole sandwich. That was a highlight for me. Hopefully we all sleep well tonight....! You look really amazing, and your new bracelet is beautiful. Good job on that Judy Mills :)

Thanks for BBQing on Saturday too. It has been a great weekend!

Love,
Anne

Jen said...

That's great Jamie! We had read about it and thought it would be neat to give it a try but totally forgot about it today:) What a thing to be able to talk about in the future...how you did such an exciting thing right in the middle of your chemo treatment! Keep up the good work!
Jen

Katrina said...

Very cool...congrats on the trek! And, congrats on the bike John!! You're all set for hiking this summer Jamie. Thanks for the pics too, they are fabulous.

Look forward to seeing you both later in the week. The Kangaroo & Kiwi awaits!!

Love, K

Anonymous said...

WOW Jamie and John,

You are both out of control!!!! Way to go!!! Jamie I bet it was a real uplifting and energizing experience to do something like that. Pretty soon you will be signing yourself up for a marathon in 2008.:) I think it is great, I wish I could have been there too.

John-It sounds like you got yourself a mercedes of a bike. You deserve it and I hope you have many rides ahead of you this summer. Let Nick know if you want to go...He knows some great places and likes to go out on the trails when he can.

Love you guys and I will talk to you soon!!!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Jamie

That is exciting that you got to walk across the bridge. I bet the views were pretty.

John
Let me know when your ready to break your bike in. I know of some pretty easy rides that we can go cruising on.. I won't take you up to Capital Forest until your ready.

If you two have time and are feeling up for it, we should go out to dinner one night this week.

Nick

Anonymous said...

Just braving the crowds impresses me! I would almost go for the view....Almost! LOL

Just like the "old days", you won't be able to keep John at home now that he has those great wheels!
Capitol Forest would be a great place to ride!

I'm sure staying in good shape is helping you feel better. Keep up the good work!

Love,
Mom C
PS Your new grass looks good, too!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jamie,
Wow! You have been busy! That is so cool that you walked the bridge! I love John's bike. If it does distract him from wanting a disel truck, let me know so we can invest in a new bike for Brian ;-).

Hope we can meet up at Bigelow someday soon...

Katie

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jamie. Awesome. Fantastic. You are a tough cookie!! Loved the pictures of everyone on the bridge. I bet the view was fantastic. I'm amazed that you walked all that distance. . . and I thought chemo sapped your strength. You're putting that rumor to rest! So glad you feel so good.

It's neat that John got a new bike. . . everyone needs new toys now and then -- Just ask Will. What a good way to go ahead and indulge and turn around and work those calories off!

Sharon

Anonymous said...

Jamie, The bridge event sounds pretty cool, we watch it go up every time we go by to the parents house.

John, Don't you dare stop thinking about diesel trucks! In fact wouldn't it be cool if you put a diesel motor on that bike? Just for going up the hills.

Troy

Unknown said...

Jamie,
Sounds like a really fun day. You look great, and it sounds like you are getting your energy back.

John, Hope you enjoy the new bike. Jason will be very, very jealous.

Love,
Ali

BethMc said...

Sounds like you guys had a great time. I hope this round of chemo goes as well as the last round did.
We had a great time camping and the kids are wanting to go on another trip real soon. We missed the farmers market though.

Anonymous said...

Hope things went smoothly yesterday and you are getting some rest today... Cruddy weather outside, but a good day to get cozy with one of those fuzzy blankets you have.

Love,
Anne