Sunday, October 21, 2007

Post B Day

Once again Katrina came through on the birthday plans for Jamie. As most of you know, she is the super duper best friend who has not missed a single year for longer than I have been around. Even when I tried to swoop Jamie out of the country, Katria hunted us down in the Irish countryside.

Last night after the girls returned from their massages, Joel and Katrina treated us to an excellent dinner at the Trellis in downtown Kirkland. The menu was excellent, Jamie had the salmon, while the rest of us went with varied selections of beef. Katrina selected what the waiter described as being the "butcher's cut", apparently significant because there is only one of these per cow. Joel and I speculated as to what exclusive anatomical component it might be, but no matter where our imaginations might lead us, in the end the bite I tried was delicious. Dessert was fabulous as well, each of us selecting our own platter of treats and then mixing and matching between the four.

Also thanks to Grammy and Ukki (that's Finnish for grandpa) for babysitting. Not that we mind the kids at dinner, it is just that Joel and I are enough for Jamie and Katrina to manage in such atmosphere. But we did our best, I always used my silverware, Joel didn’t lick his dessert plate and nobody drank straight from the bottle.

We came home to find Madeline running about unclothed but happy and so enjoyed second dessert of fruit tart with Doris and Vessa as well.

We slept well in the rec room and awoke to a quiet house. Joel, attempting to detain me, had locked the gate between the house and garage, forcing me to tiptoe around the yard, past his bedroom window and out the side yard. After several trips without any sign of his clan, I thought I was in the clear. Then I remembered leaving my cell and Jamie’s purse in the living room. I silently opened the door to the kitchen, and then winced when the floor squeaked when I stepped inside. I listened for a cry from Erik or rustlings from the kids’ room, but still silent, so I daintily crept across the linoleum into the front room. As I glanced about for our belongings, I switched on the floor lamp and was startled by the mechanical sound of some Halloween trinket growling. But still the Woods slept and I exited undetected.

We breakfasted at a nearby Starbucks and of coursed enjoyed an easy commute via 520 to the hospital. Jamie was a bit glum, anticipating the after effects of chemo, but she perked up when Dr. Allison said that her peer resident Dr. Liz was on duty in maternity and would try to drop by for a visit. Although doctors are not supposed to have favorites, as we all know, Jamie’s charms are difficult to resist.

So here we are; me in my sleeper chair and Jamie watching the TLC channel. Our nurse today is Katherine, obviously seasoned at her trade, but also disappointingly disparaging about travel to Australia. Apparently she feels that the culture there is chauvinistic, describing it as ”a man’s country”. So I ask what is the problem with that? They have giant cans of beer their don’t they?

Today we are visibly short of staff, so I will forgo the debate and be extra co-operative. I saw the poker faced but efficient Amy on duty, but none of the other regulars are here. Christie of course is most conspicuous by her absence, as apparently there is no one here who has experience with Jamie’s new fangled Power Port. Now before the nail biting begins, be assured that they have plenty of experience on models of similar function but different name, and all have just been trained on the specifics. So with a little guidance from Jamie and the training I received from Dr. Hickman himself, we have the situation under control. We rejected the first needle they brought in, as Jamie did not recognize the color. So after confirming the necessary specifications, we sent Katherine to procure the next size up.

Probably of little consequence, as the black 22 ga. needle will likely deliver the agonizingly (psychologically, not physically) slow 20 hour taxol drip, but why mess with success, we will wait for the yellow 20 ga. We literally have all day.

If there is one lesson I can share, it is that to make the best of any health care, the patient and their family must be control. I will never slight the competence or dedication of the staff here, but still you in the end are responsible for your own care. Last visit Jamie was given her first dexamethazone (a steroid used for nausea control) via IV instead of the pill form she had used before. The results were unpleasant and by voicing her opinion openly and repeatedly we can ensure that such discomforts won’t re occur. The staff are happy to oblige, and there is not a hint of resentment or consequence by mentioning it to every nurse, doctor and resident we encounter. I am certain that a satisfied patient and spouse are far easier to care for. Plus it gives you something to do besides watch 600 lb tattooed midgets give birth while remodeling their home on cable TV.

5 comments:

Katrina W. said...

You had me laughing so hard that my eyes were watering John. We didn't hear a thing, woke up about 8:30 and found you guys already gone. You're quite stealthy.

About the Irish contryside trip... one of my favorite memories is getting off the train in Galway at 9:00 or so in the evening to find you and Jamie waiting with a cardboard sign you'd written "WOOD" on (and of course delicious sandwiches and other healthy/tasty snacks). That was such an amazing trip! Looking forward to other such adventures when Grammy/Ukki and Gramma/Grampa host the wee Woods!

Thanks for a very fun Saturday, and we'll see you Monday night for dinner!

Katrina W. said...

Hey Jamie - Mike & Jen Woodman and Shannon (and the rest of her Woods) say hey and "Happy Birthday"!

Anonymous said...

John and Jamie-

I was practically rolling on the floor, when I read your comments tonight John. It sounds like the two of you are taking charge as usual, and have everything under control. Hopefully you will have a speedier recovery.

Your dinner sounded really tasty. I think it has been some time since I had salmon. I think that was a safe choice Jamie:) I'm glad you saved room for some dessert. I will make some magic cookie bars next weekend when you will be feeling up to eating them. Afterall, I want to give you a fair opportunity to eat them before John eats them all.

I got the message about BB and GB. We will take care of them Monday and Tuesday night.

Love you both, get lot's of rest!!!

Jennifer

Jen said...

Oh, I laughed hard at this post, especially the comments about the boys behaving at dinner. I could really visualize both of you doing all of those things at other times, like licking the plate.

Jamie, take care. Is this the halfway point for IP? Never forget how strong you are. You are an inspiration to all that know and love you. You WILL get through this:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting us crash your hospital room, and for dragging your IV what seemed to be nearly a half mile to the cafeteria... oh, and thanks for giving us such a good reason to try those obscenely rich cupcakes! ;)

Yay to being nearly halfway there! We can celebrate more when you are feeling better next week. Until then, rest up, and know that we are all thinking about you during your tough days.

Love, Anne, Dave & Will