Friday, April 11, 2008

Minor Setback--Fast Action

I'm sorry for not posting a picture. I need to get John to take a photo to post. The hair is coming in strong!!

I've had a minor setback this week. I started having some pain this week and the usual drugs were not cutting it, so on Wednesday I called my favorite nurse, Heidi. As usual, she responded very quickly and told me I needed to come up and be seen. The next morning at 10am, I was being examined by Barb Silko, a very competent nurse practitioner, who sees patients during recovery after surgery, so you don't have to see the "boss" every time you go in. Barb did a "thorough" exam, and proclaimed she couldn't "feel" anything, but wanted to discuss the option of having a CT scan with Heidi.

I was on my way out of the office, when I got sidetracked talking to Tina, the team coordinator, regarding a change in my next scheduled blood draw. We were just about to leave, when Heidi caught us. She had wrote the requisition for the CT scan, and had Tina call downstairs to get us in that day! Talk about service. About 20 minutes later, I was chugging down the Lumen (barium smoothie) which was less thick than the regular stuff. At 12:30, I was laying on the table getting ready to start the scan.

Today, I got a call from Heidi with the results. She assured me they didn't see anything suspicious, but that I've had a pocket of fluid by the area where they did the bowel resection. It has always been very small (17mm x 19mm), but that it has grown a little bit (23mm x 24mm) and that it was likely causing the discomfort that I have. Dr. Goff looked at the scans and wants me to have a Pet Scan to make sure nothing "lights up", since my last one in November. She also suggested that the scans be sent down to the interventional radiologists to look at to see if they will be able to surgically drain the pocket. She is somewhat skeptical that they will be able to do it, because of its position, but wanted it to be the first choice. I think she would have to go in surgically if they can't do anything about it.

I am so grateful that I was lucky enough to find Dr. Goff and have her involved in my recovery. She and her team are the most wonderful people out there! I highly recommend the SCCA to everyone I talk to. I don't know where I would get such great and fast care like I receive from the SCCA.

I will keep you all posted about what I find out this next week. Wish me luck!!

8 comments:

Jen said...

Sounds like you are in awesome hands at the SCCA. I mentioned your story to my OB who is a local big-wig here, and she thought you were so fortunate to have Dr. Goff and is very familiar with her work.

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers. I'm sure that you'll come through this with no problems at all. I'm glad you have such a wonderful team of doctors on your side!

Anonymous said...

We are so happy to hear that your professionals actually listen to you. That doesn't seem to really be the norm. We feel that your recovery results have been due to determination, love, loyalty and strength and little to do with luck. Our best wishes and daily prayers for your speedy recovery from this minor setback.
Dick and Sharon

Katrina W. said...

The SCCA is the best. I'm so happy that you are in their care. I love how extra thorough Dr. Goff is too - adding in a PET scan just for good measure. She rocks.

Thinking of you, and as always, anything you need, just dial and we've got it covered. Love you. JKME

Anonymous said...

So sorry that you are in pain, but glad that you have familiar faces on the other end... hope that makes this a little easier to take.

Dr. Goff is lucky to have such a good patient! I'm sure she wishes everyone was as knowledgable and tough as you are.

Hugs from all of us --

Anne, Dave and Will

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

You look great! Grow hair, Grow!!!

~ Shanan

Anonymous said...

Jamie,

We are thinking about you. GB and BB are well fed and put to bed for the night. We can't wait to hear how everything goes tomorrow.

Take care and we love you!!!

Jennifer

Anonymous said...

Just a note to let you know you are on our mind, and that we were so happy to hear your scan looked good!!

And it looks like you are almost due for a haircut. Hooray!

Anne