Monday, April 21, 2008

Lost Modesty

Today I had my "aspiration" at the UW radiology department. Well that is what it was supposed to be. I ended up having a biopsy instead. After mapping the area on my tush, with many rides in and out of the CT machine, no fluid came out of my "pocket". Instead the Dr had to change strategies and take a core sample from the lump that is pushing on my bum area as it was not a fluid pocket as was suspected. And as you can see I can be very detailed about this, because the anesthesia did not work and I was pretty conscience thru out the entire procedure. Believe me, I wish I wasn't. They actually had to stop in the middle of it to request the use of more drugs, because they had already surpassed the normal dosing for most people. I still hold the staff at the UW in high regard, but today was not the greatest of procedure days.

I had to stay after the procedure in the recovery area for a little bit, where I scared a nurse by dosing off which caused my oxygen levels to set the alarm off on the machine. Once I was somewhat stable, they sent me back down to 4 South, to wait out the after effects of the drugs. I guess I really was a special case today, because the nurse told me to order lunch, which John did only to have the nurse rush back in to tell me they didn't want me to eat until about 5pm and I needed to lay still until that time as well. Mind you I hadn't eaten since 9pm the night before, I was pretty hungry. All this while during the recovery, I had to keep baring my bum, so they could check on it. It's getting to the point, it doesn't bother me to have male nurses. I've lost all my modesty. One day I hope it will return (LOL)

Last Thursday, many of you know I had a PET scan, which came back clear with no indication of activity in the "pocket" in question. We had a bit of a snag when the nurse was trying to put my folic catheter in. In the end, I did the PET without it and found out the Nuke Techs actually prefer to run the PET without one. I'm hoping the good outcome of the PET will be some sort of indication that all is well with whatever they took out today.

I will try to post what I find out soon, but I have my three month check-up with Dr. Goff on Monday, so I may not find anything out until I talk to her. My nurse, Heidi will probably call and give me an update. She is so great about making sure we know all the details as soon as she finds anything out. I love that about her...always thinking about the patient and their state of mind.

I hope all is well with all of you--I will let all of you know any info I get as soon as I get it!!

Lots of Love,

Jamie

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear things were not as expected Jamie! You sound very lucid in your post, so despite the massive amounts of drugs they gave you you must be holding your own... no surprise!

Glad you had the PET scan first so you've got some positive reassurance while you wait.

Thanks so much for posting - you know we all were waiting to hear :)

Rest that bum, it's had a long day.

Love,
Anne

Katrina said...

"Erik's Jamie" -

Man, you're a trooper! Sorry that the procedure wasn't as snappy as originally planned. Glad it ended up OK in the end. Geez.

Great to see you last night - look forward to seeing you again soon.

Love, KJME

Anonymous said...

Dear John & Jamie,
Sorry you have to endure this little bump in the road to recovery, but with all your tests coming out so well, I am sure they will have it solved ASAP.
Mother was on the other phone when John called last night and I don't want to forget to tell you she sent her love, and that she asks about you EVERY call!
Call me when you have time. Shorty will be at MB looking for you this aft! :)
Love, Mom & Dad C

Anonymous said...

Hi John and Jamie -

Sorry to hear about the minor setback but we are sure you will again over come. Keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

Matt & Donna

Anonymous said...

Ick, that doesn't sound like much fun at all. You're an amazing woman though and I'm sure you pulled through wonderfully! Good luck on the results, I'm rootin' for you!

~Krystal