Sunday, January 4, 2009

Brittany

As some of you know, John has a second cousin Brittany, who is here at Seattle Children's Hospital. She is a super courageous kid, well, teenager (everyone under the age of 25 seems like a kid to me!) I've been lucky to be able to get to know her through her stays here at the hospital. Today, I hope I was able to be of some comfort to her as she had to undergo an emergency procedure to put a chest tube in to drain out air that had escaped from her lung into her chest. She put on her brave face and had the procedure, which has successfully let the air out so her lung could regain it's shape and start working again.

I am still amazed by the health care we have here in Seattle. Her nursing team was awesome today. She had a nurse, Brittany, who went the extra mile and stayed with her, past her shift, to make sure she was being taken care of. It reminded me of one of my favorite nurses on 7SE, May, who worked tirelessly to get my pain under control after surgery and went the extra distance to always make me feel like I was her only patient. I was always surprised to know that she had roughly two other people she was looking after. And also Michael, Christy, and Jennie, who were also the best and saw me through the chemo. I also fondly recall Dan, my chemo nurse at SCCA , who told me exactly what to expect and when to take meds so that I would feel the best I could after chemo.

I'm glad I can be in the position I am right now, slowly rocking in the chair beside Brittany's bed, looking out for her as she sleeps off the anesthesia. I'm so glad she is comfortable, and her breathing is so much better. I wouldn't probably be able to be in this position without my "team" which includes my wonderful husband, my best friend Katrina, my amazing family, and all my great friends who supported me while I was down. I'm excited to look towards a wonderful 2009, knowing that I am well and all the cancer is behind me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad you are there Jamie. I am sure she finds inspiration in your strength and encouragement. It is hard not to be in awe of you, and she certainly needs that. Just like with you, it is easy to root for Brit b/c she is being so tough -- the only gripe I heard from her last week was that she had to leave Christmas early (to be flown out to Seattle). What a girl!

I am almost through this cold, and then I can get back up for a visit. Can you let us know if you see or hear of anything she needs? I'm sure company is the best thing right now. Thanks for being there for all of us...

Anne

jkluginbill said...

You are such an amazing person. Brittany is lucky to have you. My prayers are with Brittany.

Anonymous said...

Jamie, you are the perfect person for Brittany & you can see it in the way Britt reacts to you! You always knows just the right thing to say to her, and you really "lead" Brittany to ask the questions and take responsibility for herself so that she can get the best treatment possible.
I believe that you are not only a part of her health care, but you are participating in the growth of a child into a young woman.
Thanks, Jamie! As the leader of our "Brittany team", we look to you to help us help her.
Love, Kathy